How can I get my 10 month old son to stop sucking his thumb?

I'm scared he's going to have crooked teeth. I was a thumb sucker until the age of 12 when I just out of the blue gave it up. I had an over bite because of it. My husband didn't have the best teeth until he got braces. WHAT DO I DO?!?!.

FreshEG

Asked by FreshEG at 3:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The only thing i can say is be very consistant. Every time you see it in his mouth take it out and give him something else. It is hard but stick with it.

they also have this stuff you can put on their nails called Thum, it tastes nasty. I am not sure how young you can use that.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 3:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• The one trait that 'they' found in common among kids who stop or don't stop later in life (past the age of 5) is a person continually pushing them to stop. Hang in there, he is still a baby and the need to suck for comfort is very strong. He will grow out of it.

"According to the American Dental Association, thumb sucking does not cause permanent problems with the teeth or jaw line unless it is continued beyond 4 to 5 years of age. As it turns out, somewhere between 85% and 99% of children have finished thumb sucking spontaneously before this period"
    mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 4:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• thanks for your replies. i appreciate it.
    FreshEG

Answer by FreshEG at 3:06 PM on Nov. 24, 2008