What is Boxing Day? Why is it celebrated? How is it celebrated?

Sorry but after 30 years of life I really haven't heard anything about it till just now. I'm not a sports buff if you can't tell. If it is for the sport, boxing, is there a Baseball or Football, or Hockey day that I don't know about as well? A little confused here.

1bizzymommy

Asked by 1bizzymommy at 2:02 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Holidays

• It's a British tradition: the day after Christmas, the things that have been replaced with new gifts, and leftover food, is boxed up and taken to donate to the poor --or the servants, or the local church... whoever needs it, really.

It's celebrated in most of the Commonwealth.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:08 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Historically the first poster got it. Realistically, it's all about deals and sales. It's kind of our Black Friday. People line up in the wee hours of the morning - which in Canada in Dec can be pretty cold. Personally for me it means packing up and heading to my dad's for my family's 'Christmas'. We always celebrate on Boxing Day because we can all make it out that day.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:21 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• LOL!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:14 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I have many friends in canada and England...to them...it means 'boxing up' all the holday deco's, and boxing up anything you arn't going to need and getting them put away.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:16 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• It has nothing to do with sports. It's an old holiday. It's when the rich gave little gifts to the poor, especially their servants.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:51 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Okay, that helped to clarify some things! I was pretty confused because I got an e-mail from a company advertising sales and it was brought up on the radio a few times. It seems to mean a few different things to different people. Thanks all!
    1bizzymommy

Comment by 1bizzymommy (original poster) at 12:16 PM on Jan. 1, 2011