Introducing a Cat Tree

I bought my cat a Cat Tree for Christmas. It has 2 shelves to sit on and a scratcher at the bottom. I thought he'd like it because he sleeps in the hallway and we have hardwood floors, so it can get cold. He likes when I put a blanket out for him, and he sleeps on it but then he pees and poops on it too.

Anyway, I put the tree in the hall and he barely looks at it! I put catnip on the shelves and scratcher, I put some of his food on the top shelf and put him there so he could see the food and know that the tree is his to go on, but he jumped down and hasn't been back on it. Did I waste my money? How can I get him to like it?

debbymichelle

Asked by debbymichelle at 2:13 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Pets

• try buying a herbal calming spray at your local Petsmart or Petco and spraying the stand with it and then put on the catnip. It worked for my 4.
    horsegal2760

Answer by horsegal2760 at 9:50 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• The "bathroom" is in the bathroom, and his sleeping area is in the hallway. So, they're really not close together at all. He has a medical problem that makes him want to pee/poop on soft surfaces, like the blankets I've given him... hence, the cat tree. Maybe someone else will be more helpful.
    debbymichelle

Comment by debbymichelle (original poster) at 2:22 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Assuming said cat has a litter box already, I would have set it's play toys (if it had any already) on the tree and cat-nip would be cool too. But anything relating to food or toilet should be placed in another area or another room all together. I am not a pet person, I actually despise cats and dogs but I was only able to make such a decision about myself after learning about the animals and their habits just as any responsible parent (of an animal or child) should.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:26 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• wow, okay! I did not know those facts before my original statement and I honestly did not intend to offend if that is how you received my comment. I apologize, I am a tell it like it is type of person! I type exactly the same way as I would choose to speak to anyone's face.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:30 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• You should never put an animals "bathroom" and "playroom" so close together. Any animal, even humans tend to separate their bathroom and sleep/eating place. Would you take a shit or piss where you eat and sleep?
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:18 AM on Dec. 29, 2010