Have you ever dealt with bed bugs??? I need advice for how to deal with it when staying at someone else's house who has them.

We are visiting relatives for a week and I woke up this morning with a bite on my arm. I just kind of got this feeling that maybe I should inspect the bed. I didn't see any bugs but I saw a lot of black spots in the crease between the pillow top part of the mattress and the lower part of the mattress.

I'm not sure what to do. I want to leave and stay somewhere else, but what if our luggage and everything has already picked it up? I haven't said anything to anyone yet because I want to make sure it really is bed bugs first and because I'm pretty sure the relatives will say that we brought the bugs with us, that they were'nt there before we came. Ugh.

I'm really hoping that there's some other explanation so I can sleep at night and go home without bed bugs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Home & Garden

• If you red up on "Bed Bugs" you will find out dangerous they can be to you health in multitudes, specially little children. I dont think you would be hurting their feelings letting them know the "Facts" and be sure to sound helping to the problem. If you have left your things there overnight anywhere in the house, my advise is to seriously not bring it into your home.
    hrtbr8kr8

Answer by hrtbr8kr8 at 2:35 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I can only advise you as to how I would deal with this (VERY SERIOUS) problem!! Number 1, I would be fucking pissed off and I would state exactly that to my hosts!! I would not advise leaving though, unless of course your wish is to spread the infestation to a hotel or motel or worse yet your own home. If bed-bugs are the case and you are not at home, I would speak to your hosts about it. If they are true friends or family that genuinely care about you and your family, it may be awkward to speak of but it is absolutely necessary. You do not want to go back home and infest your own living space with them. I actually just e-mailed waste management in my state about bulk-trash pickup earlier tonight and saw a link on the site about bed-bug infestation, it is a serious problem!!! If you have a laptop or web enabled phone with u look up waste management in whatever state u r in or suggest ur hosts do this.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:44 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do not want to deal with bed bugs. I really hope I don't take any home. : (
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:48 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• vaccume the bed that cuts down the bed bugs
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 2:50 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Noone wants to deal with them!!!! I hope this is not the case for you, if there is even a possibility it must be dealt with before ANY of you take even one single step inside of your own home. It is not pleasant but unless u deal with it now, it will cause a butt-load of problems and work for you including washing every washable surface in your entire home with a special soap and possibly a bug bomb type of thing. I know they are rampant especially in warmer climates right now,I saw it on the news! That's prob. why I saw a specific link earlier on the waste management website about it. It's so weird that I noticed that and than read this question, like I was meant to read it and try to help.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 3:02 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• baking soda... sprinkle it on the bed let it sit for about 30 min then vac..
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 5:38 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• OMG!! Get the hell out. Im sorry to your relatives but BED BUGS SUCK! We moved in to an apartment that had them. We had no idea. Of coarse I was the only one that got bite but we never got rid of them we did EVERYTHING! We ended up having to move out and throw everything away. When you get home throw your luggage away and put all your clothes in the dryer for at least 15 minutes. GOOD LUCK! (they are a traveling bug)

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 2:17 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Ummmmm, Dont stay there! Really, is it worth the trouble of bringing them back to your own home. 99.9% chance of transporting them. These bugs are very tiny, multiply exponentially and are very hard to get rid of. You'd practically have to decontaminate yourself never mind your belongings throw them out, wouldnt waste my time washing them 'cause you have to bring your things IN to wash them. We have cases in my state just because of this issue. So I'd be hurting some feelings this New Year...
    dulcesnaturales

Answer by dulcesnaturales at 2:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• spray the heck out of everything with tea tree oil/water mix! euculyptus is an anti pest too.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 2:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2010