How do You Handle Monster Fears?

Em has repeatedly been expressing fear of monsters over the last month or so and we've tried lots of things. Telling her they aren't real. Taking away her scooby doo. Hugs and Kisses of protection. Nothing seemed to work.
Until christmas. Santa brought her a nice new easel with all the fixings of her own little studio and I moved it up to her room, to encourage play in her own room. To some degree she does.
When she got scared agian three nights ago I told her to tell themonsters that her Uncle Sterling is a marine and he'd take care of them. But that wasn't enough for her. She had me write a message on her board telling the monsters that her uncle was a U.S. Marine and he's badder than them, and sign her name then she was finally content to go to bed.
And every night since it's the same routine. At bedtime she has to ask me to come write a letter to the monsters and while she changes what she wants me to say exactly it amounts to teh same thing. My uncle is a marine, back of monster. Emmaleigh.
It truly is a small price to pay to get the girl in her bed and sleeping. But it got me wondering, what do the rest of you do to get your kids to bed when they start being afraid of monsters?

JadeRDragosani

Asked by JadeRDragosani at 3:10 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• the only thing i know to do is tell them they are not real... i don't want my son to be like me... i can't even sleep with my closet door open cause i am still scared as silly as that sounds.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 3:47 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• my child is 7 yrs old and she been scared of the dark for about 4 years now.She say something about monsters so what I have always done was put a lamp in her room with the shadeoff and close her closet doors and assure her i have my door open so i can listen though out the house and I go check in on her every so often to assure her im there and nothing going to happen to her. Hopefully she grow out of this stage soon.
    strongnbrave

Answer by strongnbrave at 4:09 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• We're Hindu. She has a Krishna doll in her room. I told her that Monsters won't go anywhere NEAR that krishna doll because krishna is so powerful, that they are all totally scared of him. I told her stories of how Krishna killed many "demons" in his day & how monsters are scared to death of him because of it.

She totally believed me & has not been scared ever since.

night lights work wonders too...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:11 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• my kids never had that fear. BUT one of the kids in my daycare did. I bought him a can of very flowery smelling room air freshener and made a label for it that was basically a monster in a red circle with a red line thru it. I wrote on the can monster spray away. I explained that monsters (this was after Mom and dad had tried everything) do not like pretty smelling things. So we sprayed the room each night for a week then 1 X a week until can was empty. No more fear of monster and peace settled over the house.
    Normally I wouldn't play into the whole monster thing. But at some point the kids won't listen to reason and their fears overcome everything. That was 20 years ago and I still tell friends and family about it when they have tried everything else. So far for my circle of F & F it has worked
    good luck
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:39 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• We had a spray bottle we filled with water - it was her GhostBuster spray. She could spray it anytime she was afraid.

Answer by missanc at 8:42 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I tell Alex to make friends with them. That they are just coming out to play. Although I'll have to try the "ghost buster" spray! lol
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 3:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I used lysol as monster spray it worked!!!!! As long as they could smell it they knew no monsters could come.amazing what mom's come up with.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 5:41 PM on Dec. 29, 2010