Consistently barking puppy...

She's 6 months old and barks for literally hours on end. We've tried a training collar, but it just doesn't seem to phase her.

We've had her since she was about 5 weeks old... And she's always been like this. Will it ever stop? It's 10pm, my neighbors are pissed, and I can't get her to be quiet! We don't bring her in the house because she will just fight with the cats, then that'll wake our DD up, and create even more issues.

/sigh

Razelda

Asked by Razelda at 3:13 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Pets

• You have to get something LOUD..like a blow horn. OR, get a empty tin can & fill it with beans, anything that might make a loud annoying noise. Every time your dog barks, use the blow horn (obiously, do this during the day) BUT, you cannot let your dog see you AT ALL! If your dog sees you making the noise, it won't work. What you want to teach your dog, is that every time she barks...the blow horn sounds. This will teach her that her barking has consequences that she cannot explain or understand. If she sees you do it, it will teach her that the consequence is coming from you, then she'll only learn not to bark when you're not in the room. If she doesn't know where the sound is coming from, she will think her barking is what is causing the high pitch annoying sound & she will learn to stop. This really works, but it takes the right kind of annoying sound & patience. Good luck, and make sure your dog does not see you do it!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:01 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• The poor dog is bored and obviously not getting much interaction from her family. Why can't you bring her inside and gate her off from the cat. You need to spend more time with get her out and excersise her more.   If the dog has issues with the cat you might also have a behaviorist come out and evaluate the dog with the cat and see if they can work with the issue.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:12 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Here you can't leave a dog outside all the time...its considered cruel. Shes a puppy, she is probably lonely. Why cant she come inside?? You can crate train her so that she feels safe in her own space and she wnt be able to get to the cats.. or you could give her one (puppy proofed) room of the house to sleep in at night, that the cats are shut out of?

I have a pup that is nearly 6 months old and he doesn't bark much as he feels safe and is part of the family...sure he barks if someone comes to the door or if something wakes him up, but we settle him back down and he's still learning what is acceptable and what isnt acceptabkle. We have 1 cat, 4 guineas, 2 rats, 2 gerbils and 7 hamsters and he doesn't go for ANY of them....because he's been trained not to. Everytime he went to...i would remove him from the room for a few seconds and leave him alone. Eventually he learnt that that sort of behaviour means he gets shut away..
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 10:39 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• cont...

And for the barking...we made a loud noise,...slapping a newspaper on a table or shouting "AH" or something like that. It disturbs the barking and eventually she will learn as she'll associate that noise with her barking.

Honestly though, why would you buy a dog if you dont want it to mix with the rest of your animals? That has to be done from an early age....
    You had her since she was 5 wks old? Was her mother with you?

She was WAY too young to be seperated from her mother....she's probably barking as she's developed separation anxiety.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 10:43 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• There is this really simple solution.

BRING THE DOG INSIDE!!!!!!!!

Dogs do not belong outside. She is lonely, she is bored and she is expressing that to you as best she can. By barking...she is making entertainment for herself.

If you can't bring her inside because she will fight with the cats, then find her a home that will give her the attention she deserves by allowing her inside (where she belongs). Also, there is no way you should have had a dog given, or brought home at 5 weeks old. That is issue in itself.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:46 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• We're trying to rehome her actually. It doesn't matter if she's inside a few hours, or never... She barks the same. She's also bitten my daughter and consistently knocks her down. So while you're bitching at me to bring the dog inside, I will NOT have that bitch of a dog in my house.

Problem is, I can't find anyone that wants her! LOL
    Razelda

Comment by Razelda (original poster) at 11:18 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• No her Mother wasn't with us. No, we didn't buy her. My husband got her for us shortly after I had my miscarriage.

I've never in my life seen a dog quite like this... She's playful, and very rough playful. She never calms down. I've had my neighbor offer to us free obedience classes and they still really did not make a difference.

My last straw was when she bit my daughter. I don't care WHY she bit her, she has been harmful to her in the past... And I cannot tolerate my child getting hurt over any animal.

And lastly, while that is the reason I just have nothing to do with the dog anymore... she has came inside obviously numerously times in the past... but at 10pm absolutely not. She will not disrupt this household anymore than she already has.
    Razelda

Comment by Razelda (original poster) at 11:22 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• If you leave a puppy outside, alone, day in and day out, it is going to bark.

If you only bring it in once in a great while, it is going to be hyper, super-excited, and appear rough just because it is out of control.

It is YOUR job as the owner to TRAIN the puppy. You can't do that once in a while. You can't do it only on the few occasions you let it in the house. It has to be consistent, daily training. If you can't/won't do this you have no one to blame but yourself when you wind up with an out of control puppy or dog.

The first year of a puppy's life is the equivalent of the first 10 years of a human life. What sort of behavior would you expect from a child that age left out in the yard 24/7 and only brought inside once in a while?

The pup you have is exactly what you trained it to be. Why on earth did you GET a puppy if you don't like dogs, or had no time to care for/train one properly?
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• You guys are seriously so fucking judgemental. Get off my god damn case if you're not going to read what I said thoroughly and attempt to say things that I have NOT said.

Do you really think doing obedience classes with her ISN'T TRYING TO TRAIN HER? And what about the 150.00 training collar we have? And the kennel that we've tried to train her in? DOES ANY OF THIS MAKE SENSE TO YOU?

And at Farm... I am sorry, but you have no idea what the hell the story is obviously. Go back through my posts, and read. I have said the dog HAS BEEN INSIDE THE HOUSE NUMEROUS TIMES CONSISENTLY BUT I DONT LET HER IN AT 10PM AT NIGHT BECAUSE SHE IS TOO LOUD. I also said I NO LONGER LET HER INSIDE THE HOUSE BECAUSE WERE TRYING TO REHOME HER BECAUSE SHE BIT MY DAUGHTER.
    Razelda

Comment by Razelda (original poster) at 12:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2010