• In the Spotlight:

Fleas on my kitten

Just got a kitten and I heard online you can rub your kitty with D.Earth but I did that and the fleas are not dead!
Is there something that I can put on my kitty right now that will instantly kill them?
I don't see a ton of them but a few and I want them gone before I am infested!

nowmommyof2

Asked by nowmommyof2 at 3:15 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Pets

• Bathe it with regular Dawn dish soap. Let it sit on him/her for 5 minutes, and rinse thoroughly. Dawn WILL kill the fleas. Vets use it and it's very recommended and safe.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:21 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• You could try baby powder- I hear somewhere that it suffocates fleas. Make sure you and kitty don't breathe it in though. Cover the kitten's nose and eyes and sprinkle on, and rub around good.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 3:24 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I should add other dish soaps don't work in the same way Dawn does... So only the Dawn brand will work. GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:31 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I would call a vet and tell them the kitten's age and weight. You have to be really careful....
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:36 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Sites supporting Dawns use -

Used by breeders and this website : http://www.catsofaustralia.com/kitten_fleas.htm

Says : How to remove fleas on a very young kitten

The safest way to treat a kitten under 6 weeks of age for fleas is to bathe him using warm water and Dawn dishwashing detergent and then to manually pick off remaining fleas. Dawn dishwashing soap is very effective and it kills fleas quickly. Many breeders bathe their cats in Dawn.

Also : Dawn is pure soap, I understand, so it's very gentle. Make sure you towel the babies off gently but quickly and in a warm place, so they don't get chilled. A thorough combing session to get as many off as possible and then another go each day is important. And the diatomaceous earth is safe, cheap and effective, as long as you use food-grade diatomaceous earth, not swimming pool grade. Good luck!

Another post down the PP said - Well the Vet's office said I should try the Dawn
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 4:28 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Contd. - The kittens were 6 weeks old... This site : http://www.dailykitten.com/chat/topic/21978

Cha Cha - Dawn will kill fleas and is safe for your pet. http://www.chacha.com/question/will-dawn-dishsoap-kill-fleas%3F-is-it-safe-for-kittens

And another - If your kitten is teeny-tiny, your best bet is to give the kitten a daily bath using Dawn dish soap. http://www.amandakjones.com/how-to-get-rid-of-fleas-on-kittens.php
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 4:31 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• As you can see, there are MANY sites including MANY pet rescue associations that do use Dawn in order to get rid of fleas. It is safe on virtually any age of pet and is effective. Other brands do not work. It needs to be Dawn. It also needs to sit on your pet for at least 5 minutes to work.

Good luck
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 4:32 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I had a huge flea infestation 2 years ago. We tried shampoos, drops, sprays, soaps, salts... and they kept coming back. We created "superfleas" which eventually became immune to all those brands we tried. The only thing that worked was Advantage. It was a little expensive, but the only thing that got rid of them for good!
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 5:57 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• use the dawn FIRST then use the D. earth afterward. The D. earth will help from the fleas coming back. It won't really kill them, but it will definitely keep them away once you kill them with the dawn.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:56 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Go to your vet and get something from them. Dawn is only a temporary solution! It does not kill the fleas in the environment and they are there. You need to keep frontline,advantage or revolution on the kitten for at least 4 months to make sure you get all of the fleas. No product will kill the fleas that have not hatched yet so you want to make sure you get the whole cycle.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:09 AM on Dec. 29, 2010