Another concern I have with letting him go all night is that it may have a negative effect on my milk supply so that I wont produce as much. Thoughts? We were told to feed every 2-4 hours at the hospital, but they didnt say for how long. At my appt with the pediatrician at 3 weeks he said 6 hours is fine. But now Im feeling bad waking him from a sound sleep and would like to just let him go as long as he wants.

breastfeeding at night part 2

lexirae

Asked by lexirae at 3:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• let him sleep he will wake up when hes hungry. also if it hurts ur breast bc hes sleeping then pump. u can alway put it in the freezer for later
    Anonymous

• id take anon's advice its not hurting him to sleep so what he'll feed longer then ususal when he wakes up hes still getting the milk he didnt use the nioght before. and the breast work in a supply and demand kind of way they make as much as he eats. the first few times you let him sleep it might hurt but once they realize that he's eating less bacause your not feeding at night they'll stop making that much.
    lovencasper5307

Answer by lovencasper5307 at 3:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• pump it then, don't wake them
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 4:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• IMHO- I was so very blessed early on- my little princess would sleep for 8 hours, maybe 10 a night. My foster mother got on my case about it, telling me even to wake her up from her occasional 4 hour naps to feed. She'd slap her feet and make me feed, treating me like a child in the process. Both DH and I hated it, so we stopped hanging around because we thought we were doing just fine as we were. DD was lanky, but not malnourished by any means- the kid just likes to sleep! Still to this day she is EVIL without at least 12-14 hours at night and 2-3 hours of a nap. She just likes sleeping!!! Let the kid sleep- it is important to a baby's health, too! Helps with mental acuity, grasping new concepts, retaining information, etc...
    mommy2danica

Answer by mommy2danica at 4:25 PM on Nov. 10, 2008