how can I get my 4 month old to sleep through the night?

My 4 month old won't sleep through the night since I bought his new crib. I tried letting him sleep in his crib when he first fall asleep but he wakes up in the middle of the night.then i let him fall asleep beside me then put him in his crib he still wakes up, tried giving him a bath at h\the same time at night. not sure what to do or try next.

strongnbrave

Asked by strongnbrave at 3:56 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• So he's waking up only one time through the night? WOW! You're lucky if that's the case.

Night waking is normal until age 2. He will sleep through the night when HE's ready.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 4:04 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I agree with kynziesmom. 4 months is really young to expect them not to wake at night. My only suggestion is let him get older! Give him time- he needs to eat at night still. He may not be ready to transition to the crib yet. I didn't get my son into the crib until 11 months, and even then, he still spent much of the night in our bed.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:28 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Good luck on getting him to do that. Babies have small stomachs and we diapers to be changed all ours of the day and night.

Answer by louise2 at 5:05 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• i thought it was normal for a baby to wake?
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:56 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• It's perfectly normal for them to wake up and it could just be a coincidence that he is waking now that he is in a crib. My son slept through the night (8 hours) at about 2 weeks old. At 6 months he started waking in the middle of the night for feedings. And at 13 months he is still waking up. :( I was hoping he would continue sleeping all night, but babies grow and change and their needs change. I guess I am just thankful he slept so well in the beginning and I look forward to him sleeping all night again . . . one day . . . hopefully soon. :D
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:48 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Where was he sleeping before the crib? If it was a bassinet, try putting the top portion of the bassinet (if it disconnects) into the crib for a few nights to get him more used to it. Also, if you can get him to go to bed awake but very drowsy he's more likely to soothe himself back to sleep when he wakes than if he's asleep when you put him in his crib.

Answer by missanc at 7:25 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• its normal to wake up during the night at that age. even now at 21months by daughter wakes every once in awhile so is completely normal. my ped told me not to expect it for at least 6months but it can be much longer than that. like 1yr or like the other poster said even 2 yrs. every milestone or even growth spurt they might change their sleeping habits. i would just get a routine of some sort like bath book bed and then put him down really drowsy. he will eventually sleep through the night but right now its not anything you can really happen. babies wake up.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:45 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I agree with the others! you are lucky! I used a swaddle blanket and it helpd my dd til about 6 mths then she woke up a million times due to a growth spurt!
    ErinML

Answer by ErinML at 10:13 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Feed the poor kid! Babies are supposed to wake up! It's coincidence when a baby that young sleeps through the night - and technically, if a baby is sleeping 5 hours straight, that is through the night. You cannot do anything to force that baby to sleep all night - feed him when he waked up and put him back to bed. He's probably waking up because he's hungry!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• There is no way to make a baby sleep. They do it when THEY are ready. At only one wakeup you are VERY lucky... but expect hat to change. Its rare for th to sleep dusk to dawn in year one, and even rarer that they keep a sleeping pattern.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:29 PM on Dec. 29, 2010