Should I take my son to the doctor?

He has had a cough and sore throat for a full week and he has a doctors appointment really early this morning. He has not coughhed through the night though and no fever with these symptoms so I am wondering if it may be something he should take over the counter for, cold and cough meds hasn't helped much. He has been tired and i hate to wake him and his baby brother this early

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i understand an i hate to wake my son up specially if he has been sick the night before; however i always say better safe than sorry.. if i was in your position i wiould take him to see teh Dr.
    talita2003

Answer by talita2003 at 9:59 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• If he has no fever, then he most likely just has a cold & there isn't much you can do about it but let it ride out. Cough meds don't really work on kids. Believe it or not, but what cough meds do is make your brain THINK you don't have to cough. I know that sounds weird, but that's why it's not really effective with children. Honey works well for cough & motrin works wonders on soar throats.

If i were you, i'd call the front desk & ask their opinion just in case. But, most likely...the Dr. will just tell you what you already know...that He has a cold virus & the only thing you can really do is try your best to make him feel comfy at home.

GL!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:41 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I dont know Ive had this ssame type of crude for a month. I just think Im getting better and it comes back like gang busters. Ive not had a fever just a terrible sore throat, lost my voice for two weeks, croopy wet cough. My doctor has now put me on antibiotics. If it was my kiddo I would take him in.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 6:45 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Why are Dr.'s so stupid to presribe antibiotics for a cold? I know my DD's pediatrician knows better....she would NEVER prescribe antibiotics unless there was actual proof of an infection.
    _______________

Most do it because parents insist on it. I've seen it happen.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:56 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Take him to the doctor anyways. It'll most likely come back tonight after the sun goes down. My son has had this same thing since Christmas night. We got him some antibotics and hopefully it'll help him soon. Take him and maybe get some for your son too. GL
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 7:26 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Pease don't give him antibiotics unless he has an infection. That is the stupidest thing a parent could do.

Why are Dr.'s so stupid to presribe antibiotics for a cold? I know my DD's pediatrician knows better....she would NEVER prescribe antibiotics unless there was actual proof of an infection.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• If you have to ask, the answer is usually YES, take him.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:44 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• yes, take him
    DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 12:11 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• It's always better to take him to the Dr. just to make yourself feel better also that it isn't something more serious than a cold. And yes I have seen first hand that there are parents that insist on getting a prescription for their child some won't leave the Dr. office or the ER unless they are prescribed something. It doesn't matter if it was them or their child in to see the Dr.
    sonsmom

Answer by sonsmom at 2:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• If he has not fever and seems to be improving, I would wait. It could be sore throat just from coughing and drainage.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2010