Is it best to workout before you eat or after you eat

Some say that you should workout on a empty stomache

tinamarie1972

Asked by tinamarie1972 at 7:32 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• i would always eat a fruit before i went to work out. and have something afterwards also like a yogurt or a salad. but i would have a tendency to faint so that is why. but i would always recommend eating something light so you don;t get lightheaded while working out.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:36 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I would say before, but with a snack before you workout. Simply for the fact that if you do it after you eat, you could get sick and end up throwing up. I've had that happen before.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 7:36 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• NOPE, it is best to work out about an hour or two after you eat. This way, most of your food is digested & it also gives you more energy. You cannot exercise with no fuel in your tank, you will crash. If you work out on an empty stomach, you will get tired much, much quicker than if you ate something. You will get a much better work out if you eat something small & healthy & give it some time to digest. Working out on an empty stomach is not the best way to go at all.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:41 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I would have half of a Power Bar with a banana before a workout but read the following Ten snack ideas before a workout  to help you. Then afterward eat the other half of Power Bar with a little juice.  GL  

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:55 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I have to have something or I'll run out of steam real quick into the workout, but its always best to wait 20-30 minutes to let it settle a bit.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:56 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• before
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 8:07 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I pretty much agree with the first answer. My doc recently told me to have some protein, like 1/2 turkey sandwich after the workout.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:40 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I always worked out first. You don't eat as much that way.
    PA-PAGrandma

Answer by PA-PAGrandma at 7:44 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Before ,and not anything heavy.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 1:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I always eat a Banana before working out, like maybe 1/2 hour before. And drink water.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:41 AM on Jan. 4, 2011