What are your views on adoption?

Curious...

AtHomeMommy-3

Asked by AtHomeMommy-3 at 7:38 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Adoption

• I think it's a wonderful gift that a mother gives, not only to her child, but to those who are unable to have biological children.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:01 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I applaud anyone who does it & wish it wasnt so costly & didnt take so long. There are so many children out there who need a loving home.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:11 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My views:
    Adoption is very complex and is rife with grief, loss, and joy. First moms and adoptees suffer greatly in adoption in most cases. Adoptive parents must be prepared for this and take great pains in helping the child cope with this pain. No child is a blank slate and should never be treated as such. s
    The adoption world is full of coercion and there needs to be reform- foster care, domestic and international. I say this as an adoptive parent.
    Obviously, our world was enriched by adoption, but I will never forget the family that was forced to live without OUR daughter ( she has 2 sets of parents and would never deny her that) half a world away in China. They have no idea if she is alive or dead, happy or mistreated...I cannot fathom the pain they endure daily living with this.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:30 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I think that there are too many children out there who will grow up never knowing what Love is, never knowing how a parent is supposed to treat a child. Never getting able to experience a family. Its sad and I am all for adoption.
    lovinmybaby87

Answer by lovinmybaby87 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I agree with mcginnisc. Adoption is not only the simple and wonderful thing many people assume it is. It is extremely complex, and the experience varies a lot from person to person. Adoption is based first on loss. For a child to gain a new family, they first lose their first family....their birth family. Sometimes it works out for the best, and other times, it goes terribly wrong. There are many possibilities.

For a birth mom, adoption is often the most traumatic, painful event of their lives, and results in a lifetime of sadness and regret. Whether the decision was best for the child or not, a mother who relinquishes often is permanently affected.

All adoption is not the same as far as how I feel about it. I hate the idea of domestic infant adoption due to many ethical issues that surround it. I feel differently about foster care and international adoption.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 1:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I don't think I can state my views any better than Mcginnisc and Southernroots, those are my feelings on adoption as well.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:53 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I am a Birth Mom. I gave my child (a girl) Up for adoption. The people who adopted her were wonderful parents. They gave her a life I could not have given her for years. Music lessons, Dance, Private schools, Etc.

I am 69 now, and I still think I made the right choice, not for me, for her. We have met, and she and I do not get along.
    PA-PAGrandma

Answer by PA-PAGrandma at 2:11 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Mcginnisc said it perfectly.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I have mixed feelings on the subject. I think adoption is perferable to abortion. I believe there are many more problems than people know and there needs to be a better way for adoptive parents and adopted children to get information and support. I also dont think a person should adopt their spouses children unless bio parent is dead. I say this from the perspective of a child adopted by my stepfather and the spouse of someone who adopted their ex's children.
    Jwick

Answer by Jwick at 2:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• What onethentwins said. Right on.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:10 PM on Dec. 29, 2010