15 Month Old girl, eats a ton, but only weighs 18lbs

Just had our 15 month check up, doctor states if doesn't gain weight by next check up than needs to start checking into things. She eats everything and lots of it! He says let her eat what she wants when she wants. I actually had to stop her because her little tummy was pertruding and she has actually ate so much before that it made her throw up. Now we are trying to increase her calories with healthy food and whole milk products. However, I found it very hard to find whole milk products. Any ideas or suggestions.

tigger1alb

Asked by tigger1alb at 7:39 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How about making smoothies and shakes? Kids usually love them :) You can make them with whole milk, whole milk yogurt and add all sorts of things to them.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 7:42 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Thank you. That is a great answer! My oldest daughter received a smoothie maker for christmas, she'll love helping with her sister.
    tigger1alb

Comment by tigger1alb (original poster) at 8:28 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Is she gaining weight, at least on HER curve? My 2nd son only weighed 15 lbs at 12 months and the dr asked me for a 2 day journal of what he ate. I wrote everything down and gave it to his pediatrician - he was amazed at how much my tiny son was eating! Long story short, it's just how my son was programmed to grow. We didn't do anything or change his diet in any way. He's now a healthy, happy 10 year old who is in line heightwise with his peers, still a skinny boy, but can do more pullups than anyone else in 5th grade!
    He ate peanut butter which is good for putting on weight, but not sure if you have introduced peanuts. Also, Lifeway makes an organic full fat kefir which my son really liked. Good luck, but I wouldn't worry too much!

Answer by missanc at 8:33 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• whole milk products are everywhere! try adding olvetine to her milk its gotr a lot og vitamins in it too..

also my #1 ds weighed 20lbs at 2 years, and his rd's werent concerned... he had his own growth curve....
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 9:11 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• my son weighed only 20 pounds for a LONG time! As long as your dd isn't LOSING weight she's fine. Growth charts haven't been updated in over 40 years and are mostly for reference. I wouldn't put her on any sort of fattening up diet. Keep feeding her healthy foods with a lot of variety. I'm sure she's just a very active little girl and is burning energy fast :) I give my son whole milk because he's not overweight and toddlers still need fat for energy. Whole grains are wonderful for energy as well. Oatmeal (not the quick/instant oats) whole wheat bread, brown rice are good options. Foods high in protein and healthy fats like peanut butter. Soy beans are extremely high in protein and can be fun for little ones to eat. Boil them in the pods and show her how to pop the beans out with her teeth (the pod is very difficult to eat and I'm not even sure it IS edible lol)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 3:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2010