Why cant other states do what Texas does?

I continue to be so impressed w/ how Texas handles their criminals. Now, in time for the holidays, they are having Judges & nurses on standby for those who refuse a breathalyzer test to be able to get a blood test on the spot. They have been using this method for a while, & DUI's & related crashes are down. Until people learn to be responsible, I think every state should model this TX method. What do you think?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 7:48 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I live in Texas and can tell you that DUI's are definitely a huge occurrence, which is exactly why they are cracking down and using these tactics. Being a mother that has to drive her children around these idiots, I feel that once you sit behind that wheel knowing full well that you could potentially kill someone, you lose that right to refuse.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:28 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• texas is a much larger state. how about some percentages?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:00 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Just one more reason makes me PROUD to be a Texan! Like they say, " I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could!" And, I plan on staying here for life.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 10:13 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Since Texas is fiscally responsible, they can afford to do that.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:33 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• maybe they should. The citizens of the other States would have to petition it and make it known they want that for it to happen.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:54 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• http://www.centurycouncil.org/learn-the-facts/statefacts?gclid=COfHl5_BkaYCFaFk7AodmEepow

over 10,000 people were killed by drunk drivers in 2009 & over 1,000 of them were in TX.....only 300 in GA...

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:59 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• http://www.alcoholalert.com/drunk-driving-statistics.html

this may be why the have resorted to such drastic measures in TX. Not every state has the revenue to pay for standby professionals in DUI cases.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:05 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• this may be why the have resorted to such drastic measures in TX. Not every state has the revenue to pay for standby professionals in DUI cases. Answer by jewjewbee

^^^This exactly.  Having a license to drive is a privilege given by the state, not a right. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:53 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• How long will they be able to afford this, I wonder?

I'm personally for "under arrest" immediately, with or without the test. The test is your DEFENSE and the only way out of jail. It may be primitive and reactionary but I have no pity for those who need to drink to drunkenness.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:44 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• The SCOTUS has already heard and upheld such issues. The supreme court has also upheld court orders on blood withdrawal as well.

So now it's not just medical staff on standby 24/7 but a judge and attorney to get a warrant, too? Talk about wasteful big brother spending. Why not just make it harder to buy while intoxicated by NOT letting them stay in the car and buy through a drive through or stop turning a blind eye to underage drinking? Both would go a long way to reducing drunk driving without all the extra expense or government nannying.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2010