I hate being agnostic

This isn't really a question, I just need to get this off my chest anonymously, and maybe someone would like to share their thoughts:
I am an agnostic, I don't know if there is a god or not, but sometimes I feel like there is; I am also agnostic when it comes to religions - when I feel like there is a god, I cannot decide what I believe in -Christianity(Catholicism, protestantism, Orthodoxy???)? Judaism? Hinduism? Paganism? I just don't know who is right. But, when I really feel like there is no god, I feel like I am missing something in the spiritual since, I worry "but what f there is a god"

I hate being agnostic, I wish I could either 100% following my feelings that there isn't a god and be at peace with that, or 100% believe that there is a god, and know what this god wants from me (like which religion is right).
I envy people who are confident in there beliefs, whether they are theists or non-theists. I wish I could find peace.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know what to tell you either except that is why you are agnostic because you are torn both ways. I feel the same way I am agnostic also. Good Luck in your search
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:24 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• why not research all possible beliefs for awhile, take your time, research them, ask questions, and decide for yourself what you want.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:25 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I fell the same sometimes, but I', slowly coming to terms with it. Accepting that this is part of who I am and that I do not need to get stressed out about it. Totally understand your feeling of envy. Faith can make you so strong.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 8:28 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Go to a Unitarian Universalist Church for a bit and see if anything pops out more to you, they can help you explore EVERY religion and find a fit or not.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:31 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I agree with Zoeyis. Just try things out and see what might fit for you.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:40 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I was going to say what Zoey already said. Research all religions & find the beauty in them all. Hindu's call the ultimate truth behind all religions "Sanat Dharma". This is what i believe in. I believe all religions hold truths. You don't even need to decide what is true & what isn't, just find the beauty that all religions hold. It's OK to not know what god & afterlife is all about. Even though some of us choose certain religions, we ultimately have no idea what happens when we die or what god really is. That's OK. Most religions have the same type of commandments. For Hindu's it's nama niyama, for Christians & Jews, it's the 10 commandments. If you do your research, you'll find they're almost esactly the same. Live your life by those standards & keep researching. Wisdom is power...you will find that you'll feel better about it all once you learn about all the religions.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:21 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Just start reading a lot of different books from many different religion theology and see where it takes you. 100% is a tall order in every aspect, there are always things we wont know in this life, but there are things I feel so strongly about that I truly believe.  There is nothing wrong with searching and asking questions, it's the best type of spiritual journey.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:23 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I agree with the others - you realize what most resonates with you when you explore the various ways of thought that are out there. You don't have to agree with one faith or another, you need to see how other people think and let yourself contemplate how you feel about the areas of faith. When you can discover what your opinions are on things, based on understanding what others think and just exposing yourself to the various ways of thought, you can decide whether there is a faith that lines up with how you feel, or if there aren't. There's no need to fit inside any religious box, you can define your own faith/spirituality, so even if you don't line up with any specific religion that's okay - there are many of us who choose to believe on our own terms. Other than the way you feel, the way you seem to hate it, there's nothing wrong with being agnostic. So if all that helps you to be more comfy in your agnosticism that's ok! :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:26 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• It sounds like you have been given a gift.. the ability to question and questions leads to research and research leads to learning.. and learning leads to life time wisdom. I agree with all the others, research!
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 9:44 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Pray, the true God will lead you to Him because you want the truth. Then you will know without a doubt...
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 10:17 AM on Dec. 29, 2010