Homeschoolers - are you tired of people making assumptions of your life?

Like since your kids are older you must not do anything while they are at school (then they look at you like you have sprouted a third eye on your forehead when you tell them you home school). Or that your kids live in their pajamas all day and don't get up until noon. Or that you have so much free time on your hands that you must want to take care of their children. Or that since you are a single income family you must be on welfare. Or how about how it is their God-given right to quiz your child about all of the things they *think* your child should know. Ugh! Okay, I'm done venting now, thanks for listening. Feel free to add your own assumptions you have experienced.

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 8:59 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Let em, its none of their business. Society is full of judges and know-it-alls and assumption makers.

But yeah I can understand why its tiring. I've been there too.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:06 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• wow i can't believe a teacher would say that but then again some people go to school to be teachers and if you start taking their students out of the classroom i would see how they would think their job would be in trouble. maybe she knows other homeschooling people that live that way. most teachers just want the best education for their students. you should be proud of what your daughter said. i am on the fence about home schooling. i respect those individuals that have the courage that can do it. but for me personally i would not believe my child would be getting the quality education from me that she can get from an actual classroom. and an teacher that has a degree ect. i have alot of family members that are teachers and i still believe they are the best to educate the children however noone should judge anyone by their choices. its their life.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:07 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Thanks, Zoeyis. I think the most disheartening assumption we have gotten was from a public school teacher. She had taught our older daughter twice (3rd and 5th grade) and our younger daughter once and I had worked with her professionally so I *thought* I knew her pretty well. When we decided to homeschool she asked our younger daughter if she was enjoying being a dropout and asked our older daughter if she was the one responsible for teaching our younger daughter. I was floored, and so were the kids. My older daughter had adored this woman before those comments and it really hurt her. She told her that neither one of them were drop outs and they were learning a lot more at home than they did at school. She also told her that once in a while she did help her younger sister with her work - just like she went to the younger classrooms in grade school to help out those teachers. I was so proud of her!

scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 9:25 AM on Dec. 29, 2010