What are things you pay for monthly/weekly that you forget to write into your budget?

We have a bad habit of living off my husbands overtimes, something I’d like to stop.
The problem is when I make out a budget, I put in the monthly bills and everything else seems to fall into groceries – like lunch money and gas.
I want to put food as food and itemize all the other things (like tolls), but I"m having a hard time coming up with them.

What are some expenses that you have realized you forget or don’t think about as expenses.

(PS NO answer is stupid)

Works4Mom.com

Asked by Works4Mom.com at 9:01 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• Here are things we budget for besides the monthly bills:

homeowner's associations (bi-annual), car registrations (annual), gas for the cars, car insurance (bi-annual), haircuts, clothing, medical (medicine, prescriptions, copays, etc.), house stuff (things we want to buy for the house like rugs or paint), gifts, pets, fun stuff (eating out, etc.)

SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 9:31 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Cellphone bills, insurance payment whether car or other,unexpected medical bills from trips to doctor, possible clothing expenses if things have to be replaced, hair care products, visit to nail salon,etc.
    lele10000

Answer by lele10000 at 10:02 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• This is what I have so far:

Monthly’s
    Mortgage:
    Water:
    Cable:
    Electric:
    Phone:
    Auto Insurance:
    Med’s me:
    Med’s hubby:

Weekly’s (4 week month)
    Food: Organic $ a week / W/O organic $ a week
    Lunch Money:
    Breakfast Money: (not paying yet, but will cost less then before care at school)
    Gas:

Others
    Live insurance: 4 Payments a year
    TKD: 4 payments a year
    Works4Mom.com

Comment by Works4Mom.com (original poster) at 10:22 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• We cut those things out of our budget to save $$. It used to be coffee, lunches, and take out. We do budget for 1 take out night or dinner out a month. We don't add in unexpected medical to our budget but we always throw any "extra" $ in savings for unexpected bills.
    melissasue38

Answer by melissasue38 at 10:45 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Monthly:

Rent, Daycare (2 kids), Electric, Phone, Student Loans, Car insurance, Groceries, Credit cards (paid off in June!), Groceries, Clothing fund, Personal and household items, Fuel, Diapers, Savings, car registration.

other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 1:11 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I think it's okay to have a miscellaneous budget. That way it can pick up the little things.
    Here's some of the stuff on our budget:

Car maintenance
    Clothes
    Household Items
    Entertainment
    Birthdays/Christmas

I think budgets are great, but they need to be flexible. Every month things change. So we have a general budget that I copy and paste from month to month, but we almost always change it at the beginning of the month.

I also think it's okay to budget some his and her money that can be used to catch some of the small things that come up.

Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2010