Christmas toys

Why do people always buy inappropriate toys for my child? He is 15 months old and my mother in law always buys toys that are a year + to old and gets upset when he doesn't play with them or can't play with them. She is a very educated woman but so frustrating and annoying! Arggggg

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 9:08 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would just put them away until he reaches that age and just explain to her that he is not old enough for them yet. I mean, he will get to be 15 months eventually. Hopefully next time she'll remember and buy something age appropriate for him. Hell, sometimes they won't even touch toys that are the right age for them. There are a couple that I bought my son for his first Christmas (right age), but he showed no interest in until much much later.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:21 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I am not sure about other people but this is what I did I always bought my child toys that were too old for her for develomental growth. I started this when my oldest ( age 33) was little and it helped with their learning abilities. I am sorry you are upset by what your MIL did. I was just put them away until you felt they were ready for them and explain that to her you don't feel he is ready just yet but will bring them out when the time is right.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:16 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• That happened when my kids were small, but I always put them away until they were old enough to play with them....then they were excited later in the year to have a "new" toy! :)
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 9:29 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• i would suggest next birthday or Christmas prepare a wish registry at WalMart, Target, Babies R Us or Toys R Us and then give it to her.
    Tell her anything not on the list will not be accepted or will be exchanged.
    horsegal2760

Answer by horsegal2760 at 9:14 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Show her where to look on the gift to find the age. Tell her you are sure she doesn't want him to get hurt by something she bought him, and that you have to put them up until he is old enough for them. Be consistent, she'll get the idea.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:17 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• developmental sorry....

Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:17 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• i would put them away until he can play with them too, my dd has a toy that is 3+ and shes almost 2, i keep it out and she pretends plays with it (not correctly) but it was a gift and i would never tell someone "get these toys or dont get anything" or make a registry for CHRISTMAS or abirthday... thats just weird and making it seem like you expect certain toys or gift or ANY GIFTS at all. id just be thankful she got a gift.
    Anonymous