How did you train your kids to pick up after themselves?

elasmimi

Asked by elasmimi at 9:13 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• throw my dirty clothes on their floor and leave dirty dishes where they want to eat and see how THEY like it.

lol

Also do it as a chore (including cleaning them or loading the dishwasher) where they earn allowance.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:16 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I would help them at first and always be reminding them to pick up one thing before taking out the next. Gave them area's to store toys in different containers....I would not always pick up the mess that was left by myself but have them stop what they were doing and help me. Never left it all till the end of the day, had to get it done as they took things out.
    Suzie2mom

Answer by Suzie2mom at 9:18 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I have a place for all the toys and babies. When I tell her to pick up, I make it very specific since broad orders are confusing. "Put that baby in that tub" then give another direction. "put that car in that box"
    Once they get that down, you can give more broad directions "pick up your toys and put them away"
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:19 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Starting when they were really little (like 18 months) I would make them clean up one thing before I would help them get out the next. I only left out 4-5 toys that they could reach at a time (the other I kept in locking bins in the closet or on the floor of the closet if they were big and I would rotate the toys weekly so they didn't get tired of the same thing), so even if I wasn't there when they pulled out the next toy it wasn't too much of a mess to make them help clean it up. Make it a game - see who can put more toys in the bin, or how many toys each person can pick up while you sing the ABC song, etc.

Answer by missanc at 9:22 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Some people can't stand Barney but I love him.. Barney has a sing along video and it talks and teaches about sharing, and cleaning up along with other good mechanisms that will teach your little one.. He sings a song called "Clean Up" it goes Clean up, clean up everybody everywhere, Clean up, clean up everybody do your share... I would sing this as I helped my toddler pick his toys up and after a few times of me helping him, I could just tell him time to clean up and he would start picking his things up and putting them away. Just try to make it easy by placing it allin a toy box or something. It's always fun when they think it's a game!! Good Luck
    Sistawolf

Answer by Sistawolf at 9:27 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Cleaning together works and lots of positive reinforcement. We did the cleanup song, too. Maybe I will sing it now (they are older) and they will clean to stop the sound/potential of me doing this when their friends are here!
    CapabilityMom

Answer by CapabilityMom at 10:01 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I didn't train my son to help out he just asked if he could help and when he does help he can a reward.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 12:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I was getting tired of picking up after my 4 year old. I kept telling her to pick up her toys. she refused to do so. I got a garbage bag and had place her toys in the bag and hid the bag from her, She thought I had thrown them away in the garbagge because I had told her that if I had to clean up after her, her toys were going to the garbagge. So now that I tell her to clean up and she doesnt want to I tell her aim going to get a garbagge bag and she does clean up. By the way I didnt really throw her toys away I had put them away in the garage where she couldnt see them.
    beenie21

Answer by beenie21 at 4:39 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• got a puppy - wasnt intended... but anything left out over night, when we leave the house - gets chewed on - it has made him value his stuff.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:05 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• my son started that one by himself....he loves to clean,he loves to help clean.....he loves to help cook,help with the laundry.....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 1:40 PM on Dec. 30, 2010