How to do all major cleanup?

My apartment needs a major cleanup. This is the list of things that has to be need:
1.Dishes
2. Bathroom
3. Kitcheny
4. Mop and Sweepings
5. Living room
6. Hallway
7. Kids's Bedroom
8. Our room

and some other things include laundry and taking out the garbage.
I dunno how to get all these done with the children and during thier naps, I need to nap too. I get tired very easily even with children or not. Any ideas?

ChildGoddess

Asked by ChildGoddess at 9:16 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Divide up the list with your so. Ask your partner for help. Tackle one area at a time and set a timer so you know when you have worked say 30 minutes you can stop and take a break. Stay at each task until done, dont start say the kitchen and not finish it and move to the bedrooms.
    horsegal2760

Answer by horsegal2760 at 9:18 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• JUst do a little at a time. We all have this problem, and it's hard getting it done. Do the things that have to be done the most, first. Then the smaller things.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:18 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• ps are your children old enough to help for an allowance?
    horsegal2760

• How old are the kids? Get them to help by teaching them how to pick up their own stuff try not to do it all at once you will be over whelmed. Finish 1 area 1st then move on and divide the list let's say do the bathroom, hallway and bedroom today always make your bed upon getting up that will make it seem less messy. Do dishes right after a meal and wipe down all counters while there, put away the food right away and sweep the kitchen this can all be done in about 30 minutes. Break up the routine and out away clothes just as soon as you fold them. Set a timer at night to declutter a the living room and out everything back where it belongs. Things will start to run smoothly after you get the hang of it

Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:23 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Have the kids help you, cleaning is funny for little ones. Give them a duster and let them dust low surfaces or help you move laundry from the washer to the dryer (if you have a front loader so they can reach it). They could also help you sort laundry for a lesson in colors. Also, they should help in their own rooms, if they make the mess they need to learn early on that they have to help clean it up. I would start with your dishes and kitchen. For me that should be the most clean room of the home. Then move to the living room and tidy it up. Don't try to deep clean everything in on day, or even one week.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:30 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My children are 18 months and 3.5 yrs old.
    ChildGoddess

Comment by ChildGoddess (original poster) at 9:35 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• They could probably both help a little. You pick up say one of their toys and hand it to them and ask them to put it where it goes. It's only a little help, but it's still help. Turn on the music and sing along with the tunes the time will go faster than you think.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 9:45 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Agree that you have to parcel it out - it is overwhelming otherwise. Do one big item during their naptime (then you can rest) and the sweep clean/picking up you can do while they are awake.
    CapabilityMom

Answer by CapabilityMom at 9:56 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• As much as FlyLady annoys me, her idea of setting a timer for 15 minutes and doing all you can in that time period then stopping makes sense.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:12 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• At that age they should still be able to help some and also limit how many thinbgs they can take out if you allow them to take everything out of the toy biox it will seem like a lot to you to have to pick up. I would suggetst putting some of their tioys away for future playing and rotate them out giving them new things to play with once a month. It can be overwhelming when you write the list out but do laundry on one day, bathrooms 1 day break it up but do some of the same things everyday beds made, dishes done, sweeping, counters daily it will get better. I always like to clean well when my children were napping but if you need one too I would say do 1 thing before you lay down that you can't while they are awake
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:26 AM on Dec. 29, 2010