Do you think that having two children is harder than having one?

I am a mother of one deciding when we should have number 2. How many years apart are your children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• 20 years. My kids are 20 years apart. It's really the best way to do it.
    tommy_mommy

Answer by tommy_mommy at 9:39 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Nope! My oldest was 7 when my daughter was born. He was like an only child. I had to always keep him busy. I played cars, colored, watched TV, don't get me wrong, I loved it, but it was tough. Now I have 2 younger ones 2 years apart. They keep each other busy. They are always in the basement planning this and singing that. I think it's MUCH easier to have 2. Not in the newborn stage, but after 1 year, much easier.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:40 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Mine are almost exactly 2 years apart--both girls--and in some ways it's harder. The obvious stuff, like more financial responsibility, more cleaning, more laundry, more school stuff to keep up with, etc etc. But having 2 makes it a little easier in some ways as they get older...they play together! I don't constantly have to be interacting with/entertaining them because they have each other. I'm not suggesting of course that I neglect them, but when they got to be around ages 5 & 3, they could start playing little games together and entertaining one another.
    Though my spacing wasn't a planned event, I think it's absolutely perfect. But there are going to be pros and cons to any age gap between 2 kids. Just have your 2nd child when you and your DH want one!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:42 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• my boys are 25 months apart and now its easy!!! they play together all day.. but they also work together to get in major trouble!!!!
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 9:43 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• LOL my 2 kids are 16 years and 2 weeks apart
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:43 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• no my boys are 13 months apart. I personally have a high spirited one, the oldest and an easy going one. They are 15 months and 27 months. I think it's personality. They play together now and it only gets better with passing days. The youngest learns a lot from the oldest. As Vice above said, it's just the financial part and the cleaning that's harder. But you just get in a routine. I don't think it's harder at all.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:44 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My older two are 16 months apart. Neither slept well so it was really tough until they were 4 & 3. Then it got easier because they were ready to do the same thing at the same time. Same sort of lessons, same homework, both at same level in terms of safety awareness and what they liked to do.

When they were 11 & 10 we had another daughter. There's good and difficult aspects to that. For one thing, the big kids can watch their little sister and they were old enough to basically care for themselves. Some things are difficult - ie finding something for the whole family to do that the youngest can do that the older two want to do.

All is good though. When we were thinking about having kids, we got some very wise advise from a good friend. You'll never have enough Space, Time or Money to have kids - just have them and it will all work out. That's very true on all counts.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 9:45 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My 1st 2 were almost 3 years apart and I really didn't think having 1 or 2 was any harder
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:45 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• 3 years. This worked well as far as paying for college expenses. We decided to space them also so that the older could have time to be the baby. It was nice to enjoy having a baby, otherwise I think I would have been even more tired than I already was if I'd had two babies close together.

Answer by Bmat at 9:46 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Going from 1 to 2 was the hardest adjustment for me. I have 5 now. I think its hard balancing but after you get into a groove it is really alright. I have kids close together as well as far apart. I think the best age difference is 4-5 yrs.

Answer by gemgem at 9:53 AM on Dec. 29, 2010