Is there a natural alternative to jewelry cleaner?

I use the store bought jewelry cleaner but the smell makes me gag sometimes! I have more silver jewelry than gold that needs to be cleaned every now & then. I use the silver cleaning wipes too but they don't always make it shine. Thanks for your help!

marsha78

Asked by marsha78 at 8:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I have heard that tooth paste is a great cleaner. I worked at a fine jewelers...we used cyanide to clean the jewelry!...now that is a dangerous, but effective cleaner! LOL   One that I do NOT recommend. LOL
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 8:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• toothpaste and a soft toothbrush works great and it's cheaper.
    mackison74

Answer by mackison74 at 8:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I have done the toothpaste for years also and it really does make the jewelry shine!
    DenieceB

Answer by DenieceB at 8:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• gold: clean with toothpaste, or a paste of salt, vinegar, and flour.

silver: line a pan with aluminum foil and fill with water; add a teaspoon each of baking soda and salt. Bring to a boil and immerse silver. Polish with soft cloth.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 8:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Just say "Bite me, you old fruit!"
    Anonymous

• I have to concur with everyone. I've always been told to use toothpaste.
    Mom2theboy1994

Answer by Mom2theboy1994 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• This works great on silver!!!! in a sauce pan lay down a piece of tin foil and put a couple of cups of water in it, bring to med.heat, once heated place your jewlery in the water and add a TBLS of baking soda (may need more than a TBLS but you can add as you go) It will fiz. A couple of times doing this it will look like new!!! It only takes about 10 min. For really hard areas dip an old tooth brush in some baking soda and scrub then repeat the steps above! Promise this will work!!! Good Luck and enjoy your shinny jewlery once again!!
    hnhead

Answer by hnhead at 10:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I have two things I do for my rings and it makes them shine way more than jewelry cleaner ever did. The first, is soak your jewelry in ammonia. I don't do this as often (even though it actually works better IMO) because I don't typically keep ammonia in our home. But the thing I use every few weeks...
    I take a wet toothbrush and put it in baking soda and scrub the diamonds in my engagement ring, then I put the whole ring in a little pile of baking soda. Then I pour on white vinegar, let it fizz, scrub the ring with a soft bristle tooth brush, rinse with vinegar again.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:30 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• toothpaste or make a paste of baking soda and water with a little bit of peroxide..
    mfialdrdickhaus

Answer by mfialdrdickhaus at 12:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• tooth paste has always worked great for us we've used it for years better than the store bought stuff with a toothbrush! if you have dirt that is tuff to get out let it soak with some toothpaste disolved in the water then try scrubbing it later on. it comes out shiny new!
    super_mom_of_4

Answer by super_mom_of_4 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2008