What are some ideas for keeping the kids busy while they're on break from school?

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 10:03 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have no idea but I would like to find out. Mine are 6 and 7 and driving me a little nuts.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:08 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• my 7 y.o. does have some reading to do each day about 20 minutes worth (as assigned by me) he usually goes over the limit....lol
    I plan at least 1 cooking or craft thing to do each day. We also have a game time at some point during the day. I also invite a friend over to play with him. Gives the other Mom a break and gives the boys something to do, To break up the school break
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 10:09 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My kids have been staying busy with their new toys, playing in the snow, basketball practice, shopping we have had to do.....today we will be cleaning the house and getting all the decorations out. Tomorrow we may do something like baking/cooking something. There is always something going on here that they always have something to do.
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 10:13 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Reading 20 minutes a day as assigned by the teacher for over break, going to the library, sledding if you can, playing with the new toys they got, helping doing a major clean of their rooms, writing stories, coloring, shopping with mom. Games, crafts now is a good time to start crafts for next years Christmas, wtaching TV my 8 yr old plays games on the computer, goes to work with me, she can really occupy her own time she's good at it being an only child or sometimes I let her gp spend tiome with Grandpa or her sister and she can play with her neices & nephews . Childrens museum if you have one, other museums if you don't bowling, ice skating we arew never at a loss in our home.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:16 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• @Everyone great answers. I tend to go with the flow. I like to sail in smooth waters. I will sometimes ask what they want to do/accomplish. Always have fun even when doing chores. Enjoy life to the fullest. Children will progress faster with only a little guidance.
    nekia111

Answer by nekia111 at 10:28 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My five year old is doing a journal writing every day and reading for 15 min. My 3 year old colors during this time and then I read to both of them. Also, we like to play board games...i adjust the "rules" for my 3 year old.

We are also going to take a break today and go to the local Chuck E Cheese for something different. I may also take them to the Childrens' museum one day this week.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:30 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• plan things like going someplace for a fun time as a family...bowling, going on playdates at someone's house (as long as they are your friend too), sledding with friends, have someone over the kids like and enjoy, visiting someone in a nursing home if you know anyone there, having family time in an indoor pool (we did the casino). those are just a few that i can think of.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 11:34 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I say baking, cooking dinner, organizing......

Funnier stuff, walks around town, painting, game day with friends over, movie night with friends and one movie night with family.... Game day-twister, hide and go seek and item, game night-board games, wii games, compete doing make up and hair.

Just make it fun, dance night, hey I wish I was off with the kids, we would have a blast.....
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• well you should play outside and do something like read to them .
    selena869

Answer by selena869 at 12:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• There are great community programs in our town and if it is too late to sign up for this week, make up your own. I call it Camp Mom - you can play school (with worksheets, coloring sheets or just blank paper). We went sledding this morning and now are making lunch. Check the local library or community center or make a family playdate with another mom and kids and switch off being in charge (more fun if you do it together). You can get museum passes at the local library for the Museum of Science or Children's Museum or just bundle up and go for a winter nature walk.
    CapabilityMom

Answer by CapabilityMom at 12:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2010