How can I get my husband to understand that groceries are expensive?

He was an over the road driver, and left me and our 2 boys to eat what we wanted. We would eat a bowl of rice, a couple of hot dogs, a pizza, just little things that didn't take much time or effort to make. Back then, groceries cost me less than $50 a week!!! I should mention that my boys are 16 and 19 and lead busy lives. The older one works and the younger one plays football, basketball, and track. I am now only allowed to spend less then $100 a week to feed 5 people at least 2 meals a day. Every meal has to be meat and potatoes. He has gone to the store with me and knows what I buy, and that didn't help. What can I do???

Asked by pixidst73 at 10:34 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• Well, how about you learn to live with the budget?
    I have a family of 5, we eat two meals per day, and there are some weeks I can spend less than $50 at the store. My kids, btw, are 12, 9, and 3, and my husband is home everynight.
    My husband will ONLY eat "meat 'n taters" type meals. I make a hearty, wholesome, homemade meal each night - and I work full time.
    Last night?
    Crockpot Lasagna and a homemade loaf of cheese herb bread, and green beans.
    That whole meal probably cost me $8 - and they have enough leftover for lunch today, and possibly supper tonight.
    Learn how to budget, comparison shop, and meal plan.
    And stop buying convenience meals.

Answer by Fawn80 at 10:57 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• have him do some grocery shopping once in awhile. Simple as that

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:35 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Send him with the list by his self to do the shopping he will soon understand

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• feed everyone but him

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 10:37 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Get a job?

Answer by tommy_mommy at 10:44 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• The 19 year old works and still lives at home? He can contribute to the household too then. And I second the suggestion that you get a job too.

Answer by KyliesMommy0407 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Make a list for him to buy and let him do it.

Answer by older at 10:37 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Make him do the shopping or eat what you prepare.

Answer by scout_mom at 10:39 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• "allowed"? Do you not have access to the finances?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:39 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Give him ramen to save money while everyone else eats food. I'd have him do the shopping until he realized how expensive it is. Then, he can STFU. Or, kick him in the balls. Groceries are expensive! OH! Make him clip coupons for you. That's a pain in the butt.

Answer by Pnukey at 11:06 AM on Dec. 29, 2010