grandbaby has anger issues when she don't get her way she throws things

mjw58us

Asked by mjw58us at 10:40 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Every toddler throw thing around. Why do you think it is an anger issue? If it is you are the grown-up to tell her, it is not the best behaviour under the sun. You can sit down with her (they are really clever) and tell her, that big and good girls are not throwing their toys around because it is nice. Whatever she throws can hurt someone, or she can hurt herself. Tell her, you are so sad when she throws things around. Ask her, where did she see that someone throws the things around when he or she is angry. Maybe she could see this at home or in the kindergarten. She is just trying her way to get attention. If she gets it with this behaviour than she will continue to use it. You didn't say too much about the situation so I can't tell anymore:)

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 10:47 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• It seems to me someone has reinforced this behavior somehow, or she wouldn't be doing it.

Answer by older at 10:41 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Don't pay her any attention when she has those tantrums. Just quietly pick her up & put her in her room. When she is quiet, take her back out. If you do this though, you REALLY have to give her positive attention when she is good. Many parents just ignor their kids when they are good because they are quiet & enjoy the quietness, but that is the best time to play with them & give them LOTS of attention. Lots of children easily learn that they get more attention when they freak out, so they do it all the time.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:42 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Ignore it. I know it's hard, but if you act like you can't even see her doing it then she will learn that she will not get her way by doing that. Also, she will learn she's not going to get special attention by acting like that.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 10:42 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• More informaton needed. How old is she? What triggers her tantrums? How do her parents or caregivers usually respond to them? Does anyone else throw things in her presence? Any big important changes in her life (school, new move, new baby)?

Usually acknowledging feelings works really well for me. If you let a kid be angry and talk about their anger and why they are feeling it, without telling them that they are not feeling or shouldn't feel the way they do "I know you really love the baby" etc, then they don't feel the need to display it physically.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 10:46 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• no new changes in her life. her dad is good for making scenes. she will be 3 in feb.
    mjw58us

Comment by mjw58us (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Totally normal @ older my daughter does this but no one has taught her this it's just what a lot of kids do. I agree though just ignore it because she's looking for attention positive or negative so just ignore it and she'll see it doesn't work
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 10:52 AM on Dec. 29, 2010