Need some help planning a meal for a diabetic

I'm going to visit my father next monday to celebrate Christmas with him. I'd like to surprise him with some sort of Christmas meal, but he's been diagnosed with adult onset diabetes and cannot eat any carbs. No fresh fruit, no starch, (no flour, potatoes, bread, etc.)

Obviously, I can cook a turkey or chicken, and veggies like carrots, onions, and salad greens, but I would like ideas for substitutes to the standard mashed potatoes n gravy, squash, cranberry sauce, etc. Any ideas would be welcome!

My alternative is a beef stew minus potatoes...but I'd really like to do something Christmas-y.

BisketLiss

Asked by BisketLiss at 10:49 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Food & Drink

• My FIL is diabetic, also adult onset, and he can eat some fresh fruits (he eats them all but not so much of the worse ones), he eats carbs but not the "cheap" ones (whole wheat pasta, brown rice, sweet potatoes), and there are some veggies that are just as bad as carbs & sweets.

Make a normal meal like you want - just keep it to small portions of the things that aren't as good for him. Green beans instead of corn, a fresh cranberry sauce instead of canned, homemade gravy using corn starch instead of flour to thicken it, angel food cake with fresh strawberries instead of pie for dessert.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I got several recipes for diabetic pies online made the pecan pie,looking for a peach cobbler recipe.All using splenda products and following directions.What would you think of a fresh bakery baking for diabetics?Just an Idea i'm thinking about!!!
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 2:43 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Do sweet potatoes instead of reg potatoes
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:38 AM on Dec. 30, 2010