Baptism?

I was just told that the Community Bible Church that I started going to with my SIL doesn't baptize babies. They wait until the child is old enough to understand. I never went to church before, but I always thought that parents had their children baptized as babies. My grandmother was always mad at my parents for not having my brother, sister, and I baptized. Anyone else know about this?

jenniferlee_12

Asked by jenniferlee_12 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Different denominations do baptism at different times. Most protestant churches do infant dedications rather than baptisms, baptism being seen as a physical manifestation of a conscious decision that infants simply can't make for themselves. Catholics and a few protestant denominations do infant baptism. It's not a right or wrong thing and the bible isn't really clear on it, but Jesus was baptized as an adult not a baby.

riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Yes plenty of people wait because when the person is older they understand what it means and it's probally more meaningful.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 3:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholic, and Anglican (Episcopalian) believe in infant baptism. I'm not sure about other Protestant denominations. While the Bible does not specifically state that infants should be baptized, there are accounts of entire families being baptized. But, nor is it stated in Scripture that someone must wait until the "age of accountability".
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 3:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• That is pretty weird. The church I attend was just talking about that Sunday. What I believe is that you shouldn't baptize babies until they are old enough to understand and know what it is about. Otherwise, it wouldn't do any good. (in my opinion) I think it just depends on the denomination. Hope this helps!
    ProudMommie87

Answer by ProudMommie87 at 3:52 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• We will also let our kids get baptised when they can understand it and want it :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• we feel that babies don't commit sin so why baptize as a baby. we believe that they shouldn't get baptized until they are old enough to know better.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:03 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• IF THIS IS A BAPTIST CHURCH IT'S PRETTY NORMAL IN THE SOUTH ANYWAY, THE CHILD NEEDS ( OR THEY SAY ) TO BE OLD ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND WHAT HE/SHE IS DOING.
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 4:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• They call it dedication....Think about it does a b ab y really know the different between good and evil? But you and your husband do...... so it is your job to teach the little one about good and evil, right and wrong, and all about God!
    You stand in front of the church and dedicated your child ......meaning you promise to teach them about God and when they are old enough they can make their own decision to follow him or not...
    getyoung

Answer by getyoung at 4:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Actually most Protestant faiths do infant baptisms -- Anglicans, Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterian and Reformed Christians as well as Catholics and Orthodox all do infant baptism. It's Baptists and Pentecostal groups that generally reject infant baptism.

It actually comes down to that different denominations think baptism does different things. Some think baptism is a gift to us from God -- a way to bestow grace. And since grace is a free gift that doesn't have to be earned, an infant can be baptized based on the faith of their parents. This is consistant with the ideas exressed by early Christians.

Others think baptism is only a symbol - something we do for God instead of something God did for us. And so the symbol only has meaning when an individual has 'accepted Jesus'. So these faiths have a different symbol for infants -- a "dedication" ceremony where the parents dedicate their child to God.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Good Question -

All of the examples in the New Testament of baptism - people being converted to Christ - are of adults. There are no examples of babies being baptized.

Also the scripture tells us to repent and be baptized, but a baby is too little to even know what repent means.

Hope this helps -
    Anonymous