Would you rather buy from a breeder or rescue a pet from a shelter?

adriennfaklya

Asked by adriennfaklya at 11:01 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Pets

• I've done both.
    The dog I got from the breeder was 8 weeks old, and from good stock. He was easy to train and well mannered
    The dog I got from a shelter was 9 months old and a train wreck. She was not housetrained (although it was stated she was), she has no manners (although it was stated she was trained) and she is cute as hell.
    It's been three years and it took me forever, but she is now housetrained. She still has no manners no matter how hard I try and she is still cute as hell.
    I love both my doggies. Even though this one makes me nuts sometimes.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:04 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I, myself, would rather get a pet from a shelter. I rescued my dog from a shelter. He's turned out to be the best dog I have ever owned.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:04 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Shelter. There are too many pets abandoned because of stupid reasons. Also purebreds have much higher chances of having serious medical issues because "purebred" is synonymous with "inbred".
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 11:38 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Shelter - I'm all about rescuing animals when I can. Not that a dog from a breeder doesn't need some sort of rescuing, cause they probably do. I would just rather get an animal from a shelter and get them the hell out of there.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 11:23 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Shelter - I wouldn't support a breeder and I would love to give a shelter dog a good home. We volunteer with the shelter and they need all the love they can get.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:25 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• We prefer to rescue dogs. They need the homes more, IMO. Its crazy, to me, that people pay top end for a dog when there are so many being put down because there are no homes for them.....

Our rescue dogs have always been wonderful pets, loving and loyal. We've never really had a problem.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Shelter. Not only is it a hell of a lot cheaper, they're already given shots and snipped, but they deserve a good home. Most of them have been through a really hard life.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:12 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• like layh i've done both but the two i got from a breeder are crazy...the female is just stupid as hell and the male has a bad eye and bad front legs due to bad breeding, he's my favorite dog though b/c he's just so sweet...the one i got from the shelter is a little crazy but was house trained almost completley ....the next time i get a dog it will be from the shelter, it's like they know you saved them and they are very loyal, more than the one i got from a breeder that's for sure
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:14 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Shelter.

The ONE time I owned a purebred dog was a disaster. Max was schizophrenic and urinated on ANYTHING handled or used by a female and chewed EVERYTHING in reach. Not even getting shocked by a live wire stopped him. My mom's purebred Doxie is epileptic and has a thyroid problem.

Our shelter dogs have been genuine joys to have, even the ones who had been abused. Gypsy was a former street dog with trust issues. My mom loved her, without fail, until she was gentle enough to take a french fry from my mom's fingers without even touching her. (BTW, Gypsy was Rottie/Pit/German Shepherd and built like a barrel on legs. She weighed over 100 lbs.) Her shelter Chi-weenie (chihuahua/doxie mix) was severely abused and now ADORES my mom.

IMHO, shelter dogs are just more grateful for your love and give it back in kind.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• WOW- There is NO WAY i would buy a dog from a Breeder when there are SO MANY sitting in a cage at the Shelter waiting & waiting to make someone their Very Best Friend!!

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 3:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2010