At what age do the boys outgrow Thomas the Train toys?

Our 5 yr old grandson is mad because we converted his train table to a legos table. He had seemed to not be playing with Thomas much anymore and got a ton of Lego sets for Christmas. Wondering if we are asking him to give up Thomas too soon...

horsegal2760

Asked by horsegal2760 at 11:02 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It should be his choice to convert the table, not yours. My six year old cousin is still in love with Thomas. My two year old is still in love with Thomas as well. You maybe should've asked him first before changing HIS toys around.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:12 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My 4 year old still LOVES Thomas.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:13 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• It depends on the child. If he wasn't playing with them much lately it may be more an issue that things have changed in general. Not that he was playing with them - but now he can't if he wanted to. You know what I mean? we have "tucked away" toys in our basement like that. They haven't touched them in a year but if I say I'm getting rid of them they get upset.

My oldest decided he was done with Thomas when he was about 5. He'd play with them sometimes, read the books but not really be all that attached to any of it. He was very much about his Legos (especially Bionicles!) and Pokemon by then. My daughter stopped giving Thomas much attention around 4 1/2. At that time we converted the train table to a Littlest Pet Shop table. ;) Last Christmas I sold all of our Thomas collection (aside from a few personal favorites that either kid was more attached to than the rest) to a co-worker of mine.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• What's done is done. Give him time and he'll get into the legos. When DS was 5 I got him legos for Christmas or his birthday. I was surprised he wasn't more excited about them and barely played with them. Within several months he finally got the hang of the building instructions and now he builds stuff all the time!
    Anonymous

• My son still watches it, but doesn't collect the items. He still remembers the song, and he is 6. He stopped wanting the Thomas toys when he was 3
    DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 12:09 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• depends on the kid and how much they love trains. My son wanted a train book from the school sale I ASKED THE LIBRARIAN IF HE WAS TOO OLD FOR THE BOOK SHE SAID A LOT OF THE KIDS IN HIS CLASS WANTED IT BECAUSE THEY LOVE TRAINS. i WOULD CONVERT THE TABLE BACK IF YOU CAN.....OH! crap sorry about the caps lock

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:05 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My son stopped playing with his when he was about 5.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I have wondered the same thing. My son is four and still plays with them. But I know one of these days it will have to be a lego table. More and more he plays with other toys but he still enjoys going back to the train table. He recently got an Electric train from his grandparents. At this rate I may just give it up and know trains will be with us for a very long time.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:17 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My almost 5 year old love THomas!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:35 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My seven year old still enjoys his train sets and track but he stopped watching the show years ago except for occasional boredom. In fact he just agreed to give all his videos to the library so little kids can enjoy them.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 1:16 AM on Jan. 3, 2011