Going rounds with the terrible twos. How can I win??

Tantrums, top-of-the-lungs screaming, hitting, biting. HELP! I've done everything I legally can and this kid is still wearing me out with his attitude! It's the worst I've seen it, even my oldest was never this bad.

Sam_Bens_Mom

Asked by Sam_Bens_Mom at 11:11 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My second child (21 months) is way worse than my first. I've tried it all also and still havent found anything that works. I am thinking about applying to be on super nanny there taking applications
    dominique1108

Answer by dominique1108 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• If they won't sit in a naughty chair then shut them in their room until the screaming is over. Compliment them when they have desirable behavior, ignore them, or isolate them, when they have unacceptable behavior. You are the boss, you are the head of the group, they are finding what the boundaries and rules are. Also, at that age, they are growing and learning more about their world, but even so, you are in charge.

Answer by Bmat at 11:20 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• try and pick your battles better maybe you are i dont mean that to be mean but sometimes with toddlers you have to pick your battles with them instead. You may be causing a tantrum and not relize it and it may not even be something worth fighting over. When you decide its something worth stopping and he starts throwing a fit just ignore him and walk off if he follows and keeps up then put him in a time out when he gets up put him back and just keep putting him back he will stay over time when he finally stays start the timer.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 11:46 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Time our works well for us. For those rare fits that last a while, we put her in her bed and let her cry it out then we get her out when she's calmed down.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:13 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My son won't sit in his time out chair, so if he gets out of hand I ask him if he needs to go to his bed to calm down, and then I send him there until he can stop the tantrum. I always have him hug and kiss us when he gets up, too. You really do have to evaluate your behavior, too - like some others have said - because there are things we do, even without realizing it, that can work as triggers. Kids also do better if you keep them active - mine does anyway. If I keep him occupied and engaged he doesn't get as fussy or as mischievous, lol. When he has time to get into things, you bet he gets into them, haha, so giving him different activities to keep his attention really helps.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• OMG I feel for you! My mom bought me the book "The Happiest Toddler on the Block" it was a lifesaver! It's written by a pediatrician and gives a lot of insight about WHY toddlers act the way they do. It explains that toddlers' brains are physically very similar to neanderthal brains (cavemen) as in they haven't developed reasoning and such. He gives great tips on how to reach your toddler when they're in a tantrum. It's helped me a ton!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 3:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2010