how to get 5 yr old to start picking up his toys and clothes

My 5 yr old grandson who lives with me is a special needs child. How can I get him to start picking up after himself? Are there other chores I could expect a typical 5 yr old to help with? He does feed and water his therapy dog.

horsegal2760

Asked by horsegal2760 at 11:15 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What I do with my boys is have a "chore chart" for each boy with the chores printed on it. For each chore they do they get a sticker and if they get 3 out of 5 stickers they get a 'chore reward treat'. I also have specific time for chores (like right after school) and I do give 'reminders' to help transition them from after school stuff into doing chores. My oldest is on the Autism Spectrum and it helps to have the chores worked into his daily routine, so he knows what needs to be done and when. You may also want to consider putting up pictures showing what he needs to do - so he has visual reminder of what he has to do. (example a picture of him putting his dirty clothes in the hamper). Maybe you could make it so the pictures can be moved, from a 'to do' spot to 'done' spot on a chore chart.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Make it a game....thats what my mom always did with me...see how much of your stuff you can put away in 10 min and if you get all of it put away where it goes then you get icecream for a snack or a cookie....or if he gets everything put away for so many days and he gets a sticker each time he gets a new toy.(for me it was a new little dress lol)
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:20 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Turn on a song and tell him, when da music stops we'll c how much u've picked up. Then say oh wow u did really well. Now let's try that again n see if u can do better. Make it fun. For every 5 he picks up, u pick up 1 ( this is if he's struggling). Remember all children need lots of praise especially children who r more challenged.
    Music is great for activities and to transition. Good luck!!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 11:35 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• You already have some great answers here! Make a game out of it and help him, it makes it more fun. And sing a song. If he watches Nick, Jr. they hit on this topic often, singing clean up, clean up. I've been doing this with my 3 year old for more than a year and it works for her. But also realize---there are times when he just isn't going to do it. Try and not make a huge deal out of it. Tell him you will do it this time because you know he is tired, grumbly, in a poor mood, but next time is HIS turn. Good luck.
    JeanaS

Answer by JeanaS at 11:53 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• You need to speak to the peditrician on what he should doing depending on what his special needs are. Usually children with special needs do as other children do depending on what is wrong with him..

If he is a slow learner you must teach him and so on.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:17 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• what is his disability. Depending on what it is depends on how you handle it. Some kids do well with repeating, others with pictures. If he has a OT or PT you may want to seek their guidance
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 5:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2010