Pregnancy later in life

I am getting married in 6 days and am 38 years old. My soon to be hubby has no children and we were thinking of trying to get pregnant. Any older moms out there that are starting over for the second time around? Any advice is greatly apperciated

itsmedawn10

Asked by itsmedawn10 at 11:49 AM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Congrats!! I was 41 when I had my last 17 when I had my 1st. I had a few more medical problems when I had my last got gestational diabetes but I worked right up to the delivery date. With ppoper medical care you can do this also. Life is way to short to think about what others think you & hubby need to be happy that's all that matters
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I went through a twin pregnancy at 35. It was more difficult than the pregnancy I had at 24, but I think a lot of the difficulty was due to two babies and not my age. My older daughter was 11 when the twins were born, and that was a great age gap. She was old enough to be helpful and loving without being jealous or slighted.

If the timing seems right for you, then go for it.  Your pregnancy may be more difficult than a pregnancy at a younger age, but it doesn't have to be.  Listen to your doctor and take good care of yourself.

Congrats & GL!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:56 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I was 34 when I had my DD and 40 when I had my DS. My only advice would be get started on it ASAP. It is much harder to get pregnant after 35. Otherwise, my kids def keep me young!
    Inloveagain

Answer by Inloveagain at 2:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• MY aunt had her last one at 37 :) Just try not to be stressed... have a peaceful environment. As best as you can anyway.
    sissy0604

Answer by sissy0604 at 3:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• just wanted to say congrats im not a older mother but i think if its what you and your husband want to do then you should go for it. Life is to short to worry about what others think about it. You two deserve to be happy and having chldren in your lifes is what it is then go for it mommy.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 11:51 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Congrats! I had my 3rd at 40. Everything was fine. I worked right up until the end. Good luck to you!! My little one is keeping me young.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:53 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Well I had my 3rd child at 39 and she was a sweetie. She ended up being the happiest of my 3 children, and was a good baby, & child. I also had no problems w/my pregnancy other than morning sickness which I had w/ my 2nd child and I was 32. None w/my 1st child. I'd say if you both want a child in your lives go for it, it will be a great addition to your family and a part of both of you, as I always said, made from the love of each of you. Good luck.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:56 AM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Congrats!!! I just had my last baby 6 weeks ago and I was 36. My hubby's Aunt was 39 when she had her first. I feel much more laid back and feel more ready this time. Then I was with my first at 29yrs old. It was the easiest pregnancy and the best birth. Compared to my other two. Good luck!
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I had just turned 38 when I had my youngest child. I have friends that have had children into their early 40's. Talk to a good OB/GYN, and good luck!!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Congratulations!! We started our family when we were both 30. I am 35 now and we still plan on having more children. 38 is not really that old at all - just in today's American society it is considered elderly. HA HA!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2010