How do we get started?

My husband and I want to adopt our 3rd child. I heard that the adoption process takes a very long time. How do I get started and what all do I need in order to adopt? How much money do most adoptions cost? Should I try to foster than adopt? I need help from someone who has gone through it or is going through it. Please help.. Also I noticed that the babies are the first to get homes we were thinking of adopting a child a little older like between 4 and 5.

lovinmybaby87

Asked by lovinmybaby87 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Adoption

• I have never been through a situation like that, just wanted to say that I commend you and your decision. There are so many children that need good parents. Good Luck, and best wishes to your family!
    LoveMyKids0203

Answer by LoveMyKids0203 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I would highly recommend you become foster parents. My husband & I tried adopting thru the state heart galleries, and it took 2 years to finally get matched. Even adopting thru the heart galleries, children up to the age of 7, averages 50-150 families inquiring on the same child, I know because we were one of those families! If we had it to do over again, we would have become foster parents! It's also a good idea to have your children be the oldest.

As for domestic adoption, thru an agency it averages between $15,000-$30,000 and for every infant placed for adoption, there are 40 couples waiting! We considered domestic adoption, but we already had one child of our own, unable to have more, but we wanted to take in a child that needed a family... There are plenty of childless couples wanted a newborn that would otherwise not get to experience having a baby.
    TiffyTaffy79

Answer by TiffyTaffy79 at 2:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Ours was $18,500. We contacted the agency in Dec. 08... were approved by April 09 and lil man was born Jan. 2010. (almost 9 mos to the day we were approved)
    TiggerNemo

Answer by TiggerNemo at 1:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I am in MI and DH and I just adopted twins. Please join my group here on Cafemom, M.A.M.A. (Making Adoption More Affordable) and send me a PM. I am happy to answer any questions you have!
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 10:17 AM on Jan. 14, 2011