Do you have unneeded old kids clothes or even your own clothes?

I saw something on the news that women's shelters as well as homeless shelters across the nation are in need of these items. When the storm that has hit us passes through I'm donating all my old kids clothes to the women's shelter.
So instead of having those old things sit in storage for who knows how long have a great time cleaning that area out and help people in need and take those clothes right down to the shelters. Don't donate it to some second hand shop since they see profits. Donate them to people who will actually get them items that are in dire need of them.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 12:13 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Thanks for posting this, I have some more items I can bring them.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I donate old clothes, dishes, toys, etc. all the time. Everytime I collect the unused, unwanted stuff and get a box or bag's worth, I take it and drop it off. I must do that 2-3 times a year at least.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I actually have bags full of books and stuffed animals and before Christmas called Domestic Violence shelter in MPLS and no one would take them so I called 4 more local shelters and got the same rejection, I am sure they would take clothes though, I will check my drawers after the new year. thank you
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• We met a woman who worked at a shelter. She told us they always take donations. That was about 6 months ago. I had forgotten but thanks for the reminder. :)
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 12:21 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I just discovered a local shelter that collects and distributes clothing (and food) to residents in our community. We're moving at the end of January - I'm purging a lot and plan on taking several huge boxes to them next week.

Thank you for the reminder!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Also, if you have old clothes (worn/stained) etc, check with your local girl scouts.. Our girl scouts are cutting squares from unwearable clothes and taking the good squares and making quilts to give to homeless shelters.... Other scouts may have similar projects going on....  Also~Those who sew, there is another great project I have my girls and myself committed to doing, The One Million Pillow Case Challenge......   Hobby for a cause!

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• In our town the homeless and domestic violence victims get vouchers to get clothes and items needed from the Goodwill. I don't drive and can't get to the shelters but can take my donations by bus to the Goodwill. It's the best I can do since most places don't pick up anymore (unless it's furniture).

Answer by admckenzie at 12:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I do Salvation Army twice a year.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• We're forever donating old/not needed material goods to shelters and The Salvation Army. I'm a minimalist at heart, and LOVE to clear out the clutter! ;o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I'm a minimalist at heart, and LOVE to clear out the clutter! ;o)

ME TOO!!!! I love a clean de-cluttered house!!! Moving every 18 months-2 years~ we de-clutter and donate every 3 or 4 months.... Also, my 9 year old has learned to knit... A family friend suggested she make baby blankets for women's shelters.... Now she has a purpose... So great to see kids engage...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2010