Packing the hospital bags....

Ok... I am 30wks. I dont want to pack my bags for at least another 2-4wks. I have been in the hospital twice and they have had to stop my labor. This is my first baby.... what do you pack?? When should you pack??

Thanks,
Shawna

Babyclark08

Asked by Babyclark08 at 3:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• LOL pack now, you never know what could happen. I went in for my weekly check up at 36 weeks and was sent straight to labor and delivery. Oddly enough, I made the list the night before, so my husband had a guideline.
    Take your toiletries. Hospitals will provide you with the pads and all of that post delivery stuff. But take the things you want and need like shampoo, toothbrush, etc.
    We had a dvd player in the room so we took a couple movies, yummy snacks to munch on, Comfy clothes!!!!! Have your hubby or any other birthing buddies staying at the hospital think of what they need to pack as well. Oh and your favorite pillow, cause those hospital ones are not so nice sometimes.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I had my bag packed at about 30 weeks, but made a list of everything I'd want/need long beforehand. I, too, had some early hospital time, and decided to be ready in case I had to go in for good (I ended up being five days late, lol!).

What I did was pack the things I wouldn't need on a daily basis, then put a list on top of the bag of all the things that still needed to go in it. As a result, we had no hold-ups when we had to leave the house at 3 am and didn't forget anything we wanted later. Happy packing!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• When did you put the carseat in the car?? I work 45 mins from home and 45 mins from the hospital at work or home. So should I put it in there now just in case I go into labor at work??
    Babyclark08

Answer by Babyclark08 at 4:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• In my bag:

Camera
    Camera battery charger
    Phone charger
    Journal (with phone numbers, name, etc.)
    Birth plan
    Stopwatch
    Massage oil/roller
    Pillow
    Suckers/candy to suck on
    Baby book
    What to Expect When You're Expecting
    A deck of cards
    Nintendo DS+charger (for hubby)
    iPod
    Hairbrush/pick
    Hair binders
    Cash
    Pills (if youre taking any)
    Chap stick
    Focal point
    Purse
    Toothbrush
    Toothpaste
    Mouthwash
    Shampoo
    Conditioner
    Shower gel
    Lotion
    Face Wash
    Face Lotion
    Deoderant
    Makeup
    Bathrobe
    Slippers
    Pajamas
    Socks
    Underwear
    Nursing bras with pads
    Clothes to wear home (go big, in case you swell like I did!)

If you have someone who is going to stay at the hospital with you, make sure there is a bag for them as well!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:03 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• We took my husband's car to the hospital, and he came home in between us coming home with the baby, so he put brought the seat back with him in my car (the vehicle we planned to take home). We put the bases for our car seats in a few weeks beforehand, though, just to make sure we knew how and that he wouldn't be trying to figure it out when we were waiting to come home.

I also work 45 minutes from home (our hospital is that far as well), so I carried my hospital bag with my all the time. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:06 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• i will prob put the car seat base in but i think im leaving the car seat at home until its really time. i do live 20 minutes from the hospital but how sad would it be to drive around for nearly a month with an empty car seat in ur back seat. i dont even like sitting in the rocking chair in the nursery because the crib is empty, the closet is full of clothes the baby hasn't worn yet, and i get sad cuz hes not born yet... i think im gonna pack the things like they said above that u dont use every day, but i dont have a lot of maternity clothes so im waiting til last minute to pack those and things like the tooth brush
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2008