When you first started going back to church did you feel this way?

I go to church and sometimes feel like a stranger, like I am suppose to feel this way but it is odd how people amen and amen and praise the lord.

I know we have a god, and I believe in alot of what the bible says. Mary the virgin getting pregnant by God....

I am so confused, that is nearly impossible. Some of the religion is hard to believe, yet it makes sense. I can't explain what I am feeling. Am I the only one?

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 12:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Maybe you should try going to a different church or a different religion. My husband had a hard time going to church with me so I suggested trying a different religion to see if that would make a difference on how he felt.
    dominique1108

Answer by dominique1108 at 12:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I am starting a diffrent religion, actually baptist. My kids love going to church now, and I enjoy it too but feel like is this true, I am still confused... Is that normal...
    KFree907

Comment by KFree907 (original poster) at 12:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Hunny, I suggest you start getting involved.. Meaning ask to help with some activity.. You will feel more involved. You will get to know the other people there and once you are more framiliar with the others there you will begin to feel the "FAMILY" Atmosphere.. That is how it is supposed to be.. I mean that it is supposed to feel like you have new brothers and sisters.. If your church doesn't welcome you or make you feel wanted... Then I suggest you begin looking for another baptist church.. Where are you from? I might be able to help you find a list of churches in your area.. Baptist & Bible Beleiving ... Hugs.
    PM me!
    2boys4momma

Answer by 2boys4momma at 12:37 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• For some people it might be. I am catholic and have never felt confused. But my husband grew up catholic and quit going to church after highschool so when we got married he would go with me on sundays. But he was not enjoying it so when we tried another religion he still felt the same way. So now he stays home with the baby while the older 2 and I go to church. I think that maybe you should try praying real hard about it or maybe join a bible study. Maybe if you start conversing and being more involved in the church that could help you to feel more comfortable and welcomed. And I'm sure someone would have some good advice for you there.
    dominique1108

Answer by dominique1108 at 12:39 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• The feeling is normal.. if your in a church which is not friendly.. Which is not what any church is supposed to feel like.

When I began comming to the church I have been going to. I felt welcomed. Everyone came up and asked my name and if I liked the services.. Afterwards. I was so taken back and felt the homey ness.. I kept comming back
    2boys4momma

Answer by 2boys4momma at 12:40 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• It might help you to get involved in a Bible Study. Two days after I got saved, the women's group was starting a Beth Moore study,and that helped me so much, to get involved, and feel a part of everything. It also helped set me on a great path of studying God's Word.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 12:42 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I go to bible study. I think because it is all new to me, that new is kind of scary...
    KFree907

Comment by KFree907 (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Have you considered reading some books about why your church believes those things? The easy answer is always.."because the Bible said so" but there is actually theology and books about WHY Mary was a virgin etc. Scott Hahn has got a great book on Marian doctrines called Hail, Holy Queen. Of course, there is a lot of Catholic teachings in there as well, but he explains her perpetual virginity using scriptures and works of both Catholic and Protestant scholars and clergy. You could also ask the priest or reverend at your church for a book explaining the teachings of your church.

tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 12:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I have found that religion is a very personal thing. It's about your personal relationship w/ your faith, your relationship w/ God, etc. While some of the teachings do seem impossible, perhaps exaggerated, I do believe that miracles happen. (Whether you have scientific proof or not.) I also believe that you just need to live your life in a way that would make God proud of you, and if you feel uncomfortable at your church, maybe you should keep looking until you find a church you like better. It's perfectly normal to have questions tho- so maybe you could attend a few Bible school sessions to get your questions answered.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:56 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I felt that way all through the years of going to church. Lonely, isolated and confused. I felt like God was speaking to everyone in the room but me, and that's a horrible way to feel. To me, church isn't a vital part of faith or belief. It can be a social gathering or an educational situation, but it can't make you into anything you weren't already, or didn't already possess the potential to be.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:10 PM on Dec. 29, 2010