If you are Catholic( and were brought up Catholic) are you still a practicing Catholic?

Alma_C

Asked by Alma_C at 3:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• My husband was raised Catholic and is no longer practicing Catholic. My parents were both also raised Catholic and are no longer practicing Catholics. They raised us without religion. The Catholic church turned away my grandmother when my grandfather left her, essentially saying that she had failed to keep her husband happy and failed at her wifely duties. (This was in the late 1940s - in reality he couldn't handle that the youngest child was mentally handicapped and took off. Leaving her to be a divorced single Mom of 4 girls, one special needs, in the late 1940s.) She's a Lutheran now... and that coldness by the church is largely what made my Mom lose her faith. My extended family (uncles and aunts) are all still Catholic. My in-laws still identify themselves as Catholic.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 4:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I was raised in a family that was Catholic and Baptist. Yes, I know - odd combo, lol! I started to move away from religion in my upper teens. I began to explore religions again in my late 20s. I know consider myself Pagan.
    Anonymous

• Wow Serafyna, I would not be Catholic if that happened.

No not really Anon. My mom was Catholic, my dad Baptist, but he converted.

I am Catholic, my husband is not. I still very strong ties, don't know weather it's guilt or what. I have had all of my children baptized. I am thinking about looking for a church my husband will attend after we baptise the last baby.
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 5:54 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• NO! and thank God. Nothing but a big business and not giving back to the community to boot. Time to tax all churches. Why shouldn't the pay for their police and fire protection like everyone else and support the local school system.
    Anonymous

• I wasn't exactly raised Catholic but I identified myself as one after 13 years of Catholic school. It was what I knew and I was comfortable with it. My dad was Agnostic and never discussed religion with us. My mom was more spiritual then any thing else but considered herself Christian. She never tried to put her beliefs on me.
    I'm atheist now.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Catholic born and raised. I drifted some in my 20's but after studying and pryaing I returned to the Catholic faith stronger than ever.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• No.
    I believe in a spiritual highness, not a father. I believe that the bible along with other religious books are fables in a way, more of a way of life through underlying meaning. I believe if we open our minds and clear our thoughts we will be offered opportunity daily to experience heaven. I love to meditate and try to become one with my inner self. I am a spiritual person but not religious at all. My catholic upbringing haunts me a lot but I know that it is not my beliefs but my father’s voice I hear. My Nana, was Native American and shared a lot of the “earth stories” with me. She was very spiritual in the same way as I am. Every time I find myself feeling confused…I think of her stories and “pray” to her for strength and guidance.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 10:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I was raised Catholic by two hardcore Catholics. I left the faith in my late teens and have never looked back. I do not believe in Catholicism whatsoever. I am a Truthseeker. I believe in God and I love my relationship with Him.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 10:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I am so happy to be a practicing Catholic. It is such a wonderful feeling of faith knowing that God is always with me. My children share in this love for God. My daughter prays every night and her relationship with Him is amazing. Growing up my parents did not take us to church. (My Mom was raised in a convent, she felt she had been there enough with the nuns) But now that I am older it feels like I am home. I enjoy going to Mass and when things happen I know it is not in my hands but in HIs. Our church has such a strong sense of family and community it is not to hard to enjoy being around such good people.
    Even the woman I think her name is Anne Rice (she wrote all those vampire books) came back to her religion after not believing for a very long time.
    God Bless
    smartiemouth

Answer by smartiemouth at 10:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I am. For a long time, I denied it and rebelled against it. I found it in my heart, and soul that I belong in the Catholic Church, and recently started going again. I'm far from perfect.
    gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 1:51 AM on Nov. 11, 2008