flying alone with my two girls...advice?

On january 7 th my girls and I are flying from seattle, wa to detroit, mi. I really need some pointer on what will make this flight easier. My girls are 3 and 1. I am so nervous and terrified of flying, but my husband this this is safer than driving. Any advice?

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 12:36 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Travel

• ooohhh depending on how well behaved your kids its going to be tuff. I flew with my girls (3hr flight) by myself when they were the 3 and 1 and it was alot of work. but I would rather only put up with 3 hrs of flying then 24 hours on the road. If you have a portable dvd player bring that with and lots of snacks.
    dominique1108

Answer by dominique1108 at 12:41 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I would say go to the local store, Go to the dollar stores and buy crayons, Coloring books, and Even a couple of Barbie's each. Make sure you save them so they are BRAND NEW.. Never played with toys are a huge and exciting thing..lol.. They will play happily for atleast an hour or two.. Also I know alot of momma's would be shocked by this next statement.. But use Childrens Benedryl and give each the dose for their age/weight. About an hour after you give it to them.. they should become very tired.. and sleep atleast half the trip. lol!
    2boys4momma

Answer by 2boys4momma at 12:44 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My flight duration is 7 and a half hours. I have a double stroller. Will that help. What should I take on as a carry on bag?
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 12:45 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Lol, funny u said that I planned on giving them benedryl. I figured it would help calm them and help their little ears from popping too bad.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• 1. Nice, your husband thinks it is safer but he doesn't go with you when he knows you are freaking out from flying. Cool. Hugs. How long is the flight? Don't give the children anything to eat half an hour before the flight. When the plain start its way the tummy gets loads of pressure so they can throw up. When you are on the plane don't give them too much drink or food. Don't feed them just to ease their behaviour. Take something to chew on so if your ears hurt it can ease the pain. Chewing toys for the kids are good as well. Take some books or an IPhone, IPod with music or fairy tales in it. So you can read to the children or make them listen some music. Find out if there is video on the plane you travel with. If yes, you are safe. You can just put a children movie on for the 3-year-old, so you only have to entertain the one-year-old.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 12:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• What kind of snacks should I take, I know that I can't take drinks through security, but the less money I have to spend on expensive airport food the better. I know I will already have to feed them breakfast and lunch there.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• 2. Try not to show to them that you are afraid of flying. They can freak out because they can feel you are insecure. If you are lucky they will sleep the flight through. I am crossing my fingers. Put every paper you need in a little bag so you don't have to search for them in panic. Put some book, sandwiches, favourite toys, IPad, IPhone, IPod, portable DVD player (if there is none on the plane. 7 and half hours!!! You are gonna be my hero if you will be alive to tell the tale:D Lol, sorry, I couldn't resist to say that:) I am sure everything is gonna be ok. Just make sure someone will wait for you on the airport. Oh and there are sick bags under every seats. Flying with children is tough. I hate flying as well. I would rather drive.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 12:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Don't give the 3-year old one any too salty (chips) or too sweet. She will eat them, get thirsty, drink a lot, go to the toilet a lot, or into her nappy if she still uses nappy. Same with the juices. The best you can do: breadsticks and some nice fruit salad. If you give them anything sugary they will go high on sugar = bad behaviour and no space to burn off the calories on a plane. Plus you can make some nice sandwiches. And I usually give them water on the plane.
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 12:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Me too! My husband is driving our vehicle home. Its a 4 day trot driving across the entire United states. My husband feels that the wheather could be bad coming across and doesn't want to put our girls through the trip driving again. They always get sick and sore butts when we drive them across. He is only thinking of us, but I wish he didn't have to drive. I would much rather him be with me. We are moving that's why all of this is happening. Gotta love the army and having to relocate.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Bring an empty water bottle or sippy cup to fill up with water once you pass security. You can bring a diaper bag plus a carry on for you and a carry on for the 3yr old. I would bring gummy snacks, cookies, pb & j. Whatever my girls liked. I also made sure I had an assortment of toys, I bought a few new ones so they would be more interested versuses the ones they played with all day everyday. good luck
    dominique1108

Answer by dominique1108 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2010