How did you teach your child to dress him/herself?

I know it's a silly question, but I had to ask. Mine can kind of put his undies and pants on, but he still needs a little help and he still needs help getting his shirts on. Shoes are not a problem, he can get those on fine. But he's almost 4, so I'm thinking, is it time he started to dress himself? I'm trying to teach him, but it's not going so well. Dressing him is getting to be a battle because he's going a mile-a-minute.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 1:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Time, patience and energy.

Just keep handing him the clothes and give your self time and keep coaching him and showing him what he is doing wrong, trust me before you know it he will get it together. My son has been dressing himself for 3 years now and still puts clothes on backwards sometimes. Good luck....
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Be calm, and patient. He'll get the hang of it, don't worry!
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 2:57 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• By showing him how to do it. He will pick it up in time.

Answer by louise2 at 1:08 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• by being calm and patient.
    janeosborne

Answer by janeosborne at 9:27 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Yes, some times kids take awhile to learn to dress them selfs. Mine are 9,7 and6 and still need help from time to time. there is special bears out there that teach them to do things like tie shoes, and even bottons and might be able to find them at babies r us, toys r us,.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 1:10 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Mine just figured it out. My youngest dd could fully dress herself at 2 1/2 just from trying on her own. By the time she turned 4 she only needed help zipping up her jacket (she's almost 5 and we're still working on that one) and an occasional reminder to put her shoes on the right feet. My 8yo still needed help with things like buttons and socks/shoes until she was 5 or 6 because of fine motor issues but otherwise could get all her clothes on (not necessarily the right way...she had this thing of putting everything on backwards and inside out even if I laid everything out the right way for her, lol). My other 2 kids were dressing themselves at 3.
    Just let him do it. If you aren't on your way anywhere tell him it's his job to dress himself and just wait for him to do it. He won't figure it out of it doesn't try.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• You be sure to tell them how grown up they are now and show them how.I took mine out and showed them clothes to get and how to match up ,a t4 years she did great.I even let them buy a few things they liked.Worked well.Its important to do it one at a time so you are focused on that child at that time.Potty training was easy too.I took her shopping at and let her pick up big girl panties!Find the fanciest and bright colored you can.And explaining that you never tinkle in big girl panties,That worked too.Its a learning as you go thing.I knew a lady who potty trained her kids by making them strip off all their clothes ,well sure enough when they started school,yes i am serious,she got a call as to why her 2 kids were taking off all their clothes to use the restroom.See,anything,anyway you teach them ,they will do!!!
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 4:16 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My 4 yr ols son dresses himself, if I want him to wear something particular I throw it on the foot of his bed and he knows to put that on.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 8:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Be calm, and patient. He'll get the hang of it, don't worry you are doing great mom..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 8:14 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I show her and then I do a show with her as the star. I usually start by saying - Ladies and Gentlemen, let me direct your attention to Julie. Julie is going to attempt something she has never done before. She is going to try and put on her shirt all by herself. Can she do it? at that point I then pretend to interview her and she tries to talk but is giggling too much. Then I go back to the audience and play it up that they have to be quiet while she attempts this trick. THen if she struggles a bit I have the crowd chant her name and so forth until she gets it and then the crowd goes wild and she gets a big hug. Works all the time and she stays focused, no fustrations and is happy.
    kittymom

Answer by kittymom at 1:41 AM on Dec. 30, 2010