Ohhhhhhh help, if you're the mom of 1 or more girls who have started their periods. I think my DD is about to start (like within the next year, not in a few days!). I have no clue what to do...(keep reading...)

My mom never had "the talk" with me - I knew nothing about any of that stuff til we had sex ed in school in 5th grade, and when I started mine all my mom did was hand me a box of tampons and ask if I knew how to use them.

ACK!

So help me moms, what are good books to open conversation, or books to get her to read, what do I buy to keep on hand for when she does, do I keep a little emergency pack in her back pack, wth do I do?! I have no idea if they have sex ed in my kids' school (I kind of doubt it, tiny school). She's only going to be 9 in a couple of weeks, and my sister & SIL who are both nurses, and a coupe of other people I've talked to, all say it sounds like she'll be starting within a year too.

ACK!!! HELPPPPP MEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I am going to go to Barnes & Noble this afternoon - it's the only bookstore within an hour's drive, and I can't order stuff online very easily, so if I can get anything on the subject at B&N that would be ideal!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My oldest is now 22 and I sat her down in her room around 9 yrs old with the door shut and said we had to have a good mommy and daughter talk and that she was the only one who would ever have it with me (at the time she was the only girl). I explained how everyones bodies change when they get older. I explained about getting hair in strange places, and that it happens to boys too. I explained how girls and boys had different parts (which at 9 yrs old she knew) and what the parts were for. I told her that when a girl starts becoming a woman they get larger breasts and a period. That a period is Gods way of telling us he wants us to one day have babies of our own, but not until were older and married (winks). I didnt go all that far into things but enough so when it happened she knew. It did happen at almost 11 and she was good with what was happening to her body and not embaressed.

Answer by gemgem at 1:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I also didn't know what was happening to me, and I don't have any daughters, so I'm not even really answering your question, forgive me, but there was an episode of The Cosby Show years ago that I always loved, and thought I would do if I ever had a daughter...(I have 3 sons)

Rudy started her period and Claire Hustable actually celebrated her daughter becoming a woman, by declaring a "Woman's Day", and having lunch out and taking her shopping...doing what "grown-up women like to do with their friends. I always thought what a wonderful way to think or your first experience with womanhood.

Sorry that I can't be any actual help, hope you get some real answers to your question!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• From reading on here I've heard there's a good book called, "The Care and Keeping of You" that talks about stuff like that. Maybe you can have her read it and then every now and then ask her if she has any questions, etc.

Ger her an emergency pack for her bag. Pair of undies, pads, maybe some of those wipes.
    Anonymous

• You have experienced this first hand! The best thing you can do is TALK! let her know your there, if she has questions ANSWER them, dont deflect or make her feel ashamed for asking! Open the door for her, and let her kind of guide the way. But your period isnt some drastic stressful conversation, I would think explaining sex and relationships would be harder!!! If I were you I wouldnt start out with..here read this book on whats going to happen to you!! I would talk to her, and then offer to take her to look at books if she felt uncomfortable! Good luck!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Oh PS. Barnes and Noble has a section of similar books in the kids section (in case they don't have that specific book.) In ours I think it's a few shelves left of the "workbook" shelf. Explain it to whoever's working and I'm sure they'll lead you to the right spot!
    Anonymous

• @ohwrite - I remember that one! I actually saw it a few times, and I bet it'll be rerun soon (one of our local channels plays 2 episodes a day and it's gotta be coming up soon!)

@louise - hello, did you not read? She'll be 9 in a couple of weeks - she's not 11-12 like you think. Girls are starting younger and younger anymore. She doesn't have that many friends - our school is small (also said that) and there is only 1 other girl her age. Thanks so much for your help. (Yes, that was sarcastic.)

@Anon - thank you for pointing out where in B&N I can look - I'm not very familiar with the store as I rarely get to go there!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• My mom got me a video and watched it with me..and i wouldnt advocate your daughter using a tampon at that age though..I saw once where they made it into a celebration where the mom took the daughter out.. I think the best thing is to not be ashamed to talk about it and make it somethign t be happy about and give as much info as you can :)
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 1:36 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Def get the book The Care And Keeping Of You. Great book for younger girls. My daughter and i read it together. She loved it and kept it around for reference. I saw that same Cosby show years ago and did the same thing with my daughter. Becoming a woman is something to celebrate! (My mom told me I had "the curse". Great.) Yes, you should keep an emergency kit in her backpack. A pad, some wet wipes, and fresh panties. Chances are it won't come while she's in school, but it will give you both peace of mind.
    Inloveagain

Answer by Inloveagain at 3:13 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Boo hoo I got voted down:( LOL!!

Answer by louise2 at 3:16 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Well no kidding it doesn't go by age alone! Good grief. I KNOW the signs. She's got them ALL, thank you very much. And those 3 things are not the only signs. Yowza. Ask for a little freaking help and get stupid.

Thanks to the helpful women who suggested the book, I didn't actually get to B&N today but I will look it up online and see if I can't somehow just order it!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:11 AM on Dec. 30, 2010