HIV questions... adult content

now this is only for my story, so no need to be sad..

1) can a mother that is pregnant with the HIV infection NOT give it to the baby that is not born yet?

2) if the mother gets a pregnancy test, can the doctor's detect the HIV through the pregnancy test?

it would be nice if there was a bit of an explaintion for each question for me to understand it better. thanks

americansugar80

Asked by americansugar80 at 1:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Health

• 1. HIV is not passed in utero. It's passes during a vaginal birth or through breastmilk. So it's best for a mother who is HIV positive to have a scheduled cesarean and not breastfeed. Also to keep up on her medication all throughout pregnancy.

2. No. HIV test is separate and must be authorized by the patient.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Agreed with above!! stated perfectly!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I think there is a chance, don't know how but there is. You should really speak to a doctor regarding this, not one but a few.

Someone that I know of had aids, died, and one of her children was born with it and one not.... Why I don't know?

But I would definitly go to a doctor....
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• 1) Yes. If the mother is on anti-virals and does not deliver vaginally, and does not breastfeed, a baby can be born without it.

2.) No. A separate test needs to be done to detect HIV. It can be done at the same time as bloodwork for pregnancy but it is not the same test. Usually, doctors test for all these things with inital bloodwork after pregnancy is detected.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:58 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Not all babies contract HIV in utero. HOWEVER, believe it or not, they prefer to deliver HIV pos mommas vaginally because of the risk of contracting is higher during surgical procedures. It is possible for a baby to contract it from their mother but it doesn't happen in every case. I actually know someone who is HIV positive and so was her child at birth.

The HIV test is separate from the pregnancy test. At least, mine was separate from the other tests.

Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Well, as far as vag or c sec go, medical opinions vary.
    Mother-to-child transmission (MTCT), also known as vertical transmission, occurs when an HIV-positive woman passes the virus to her baby. This can occur during pregnancy, labor, delivery or breastfeeding. Without preventative antiretroviral treatment, about 15-30% of babies born to HIV-positive women will become infected with HIV during pregnancy or delivery. An additional 5-20% will become infected through breastfeeding.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:21 PM on Dec. 29, 2010