how do I? Maybe I'm shy I don't know?

I love to hear my doorbell ring and have people over and stay for hours. But I don't know how to invite people over and how to keep them entertained so they don't leave. I have excellent floor plan I keep telling myself I wish the kids could go in this room and watch movies or play video games (my boy is 24 yr old & my girl is 19 yrs old) so I don't think they will do that. I enjoyed having their friends over now they are grown and gone. I have a huge family room w/a 62 in TV and a open kitchen so tons of people can walk around & talk. But I don't know how to invite people over & keep them entertained.
Any ideas I need people over my age 40 between 50 I work but I don't feel comfortable inviting my co-workers over. I do go to church I don't speak to people through I do my service then leave.
I would love to be a social butterfly & have a bunch of cars in front of my house and people brag about how much "fun" they had and want to come back.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• Maybe try hosting a Pampered Chef party or something along those lines? Even if you are not the presenter, maybe offer your home to someone who is? Then maybe you'll make friends in the process?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• The only way is too do it, or send out invites and don't do it direct. Welcome them into your home and into your life.

Write out a card that they are invited too a get together, and hopefully you will have plenty more with that start.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:16 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• If you go to the church, offer to the pastor your house for social meetings. Tell him if he knows people who want to meet up sometimes but there is no space for it, they can go into your house. You can do the same with charities. Call them up and told them you have a house when they can hold their meetings.
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 1:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Have food and drinks. People like to eat.

Invite people over for something specific.. an awards ceremony, the Super bowl, etc... and tell them to be free to bring friends! You have to talk to people if you want friends over.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Me too.. I would love to have some friends over to shoot the breeze. My sister and I used to hang out alot.. but now we don`t live close to each other anymore..
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 1:21 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• If you don't talk to people where they are, why would you talk to people in your home?

Revisit your opinion on 'small talk' --because it's the doorknob to 'big talk.' If you're not willing to live through the icebreakers (and to break the ice yourself), you're never going to get to the interesting conversations beyond.

I would recommend Miss Manner's books, because they're so full of how to handle social situations.

Do you know that most adults have no idea how friends are made, and most either have a rapidly-diminishing set (moving away and dying really culls the herd) of people they are only friends with because they lived close by, or stood in line together in school. I know people who have a 'club' of great 'friends' whom they know virtually nothing about, have never disagreed with and it's perfectly obvious from any distance they could not care less about --they cling out of desperation, not friendship. It's sad.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:29 AM on Dec. 30, 2010