Since mil has been here my grocery bill has gone through the roof and she does not even offer to help!

We are buying things specifically for her, we buy coffee which we do not drink, the most expensive orange juice because she likes it and when I want a glass it is already gone! I buy yogurt for myself and when I want it ...gone! She has been here since sept. I used to spend around $550.00 a month and now I have doing that in 2 weeks! I would not impose on someone like this and I do not know what to do! I want her to go. Dh thinks it is no deal we have talked. How can 1 extra person cost so much?

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 1:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• I agree with so many of these posters, I personally have never stayed with someone without contributing even if I had to temporarily be on food stamps or go to food pantries I made sure to bring food into the house for not just me and my kids but everyone. As for her eating your yogurt you may have to resort to finding a small fridge at a second hand store to put in your bedroom. If hubby won't stand up to mom tell him go sleep with her or make the couch his new bed. Good luck.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 1:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• "If it don't pays no rent, it's gots to go!!!" LOL I just could not resist. Tell your DH to have her chip in or go.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:25 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Why is she still there??????

Tell her she's going to have to start buying her own crap - and leaving yours alone!
    Anonymous

• Talk to her, don't be imbarrassed if you husband won't then you have no choice, she has to start pitching in. If it were a week visit I can see, but if she is staying for a few months she needs to pitch in.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Very easily. Is she visiting or has she moved in? If she's moved in, she needs to contribute and hubby needs to tell her so. Or you'll have to talk to him about the budget and ask what you can cut. Pick HIS favorite things first.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Tell her to go. Or if she doesn't than ask her to buy her own things. I couldn't live with my MIL in the house. Why is she there from Sept? Doesn't she have a house? Tell her to go home. She can visit but you need your own life back. Be firm.
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 1:25 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Stop buying the special foods for her. That is what I would do.

Answer by louise2 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I would let her know the grocery budget is out of control, and that you will be making some 'cut-backs' (like buying cheaper oj- if she does not like it then she ought to pay for the stuff she likes) and you will be buying products that you use, and if she wants any 'extras' (like her coffee) she will have to buy it herself. As for the yogurt I would mark the containers of ones I want, then tell her that since we both seem to like it I have marked mine and she is more than welcome to the others. (that way she knows you expect some too).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:29 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Quit buying all the expensive items & tell her to deal with what you buy.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• stop buying her "special" foods. When she asks about it be honest and say...sorry I would love to get it for you but it just isn't in our food budget. Eventually she will get the idea
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 29, 2010