Do you believe religion makes you happier? Do you think social networks and communities outside of religious groups count as well?

Agree or Disagree? 

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Religion, No.
    Social Connections, Yes.
    Clearly those who are religious obtain much of their social connections from church thus will appear happier. Are they really? Another study would be needed for that in which the social aspect is removed..
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I think it depends. If a person is following their true path in religion, then religion can make them happier. The same goes for social connections. I am not a social person. Social situations, including work, make me tired. I don't mind small doses of friends and family, but I'm kind of a loner and that makes me happy. I think if a person is doing what's right for them, then they will find happiness. It's when they let other people convince them to live a life that doesn't suit them, that people become unhappy.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:16 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Now that I have social connections with other atheists through FB and CM.. I am much happier.. it does help to know there are others like you... christianity/church is certainly NOT necessary for happiness...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 5:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I am Christian and yes, I do think it helps me be happier. It teaches contentment with what I have and God gives me peace within myself. I think anytime people have a sense of belonging it makes them happier, whether that be in a religious setting or otherwise, but I don't necessarily think that online networks count.

Answer by missanc at 1:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I think believing in something, whatever it is, makes a person happier. Whether it's religion, aliens, ghosts, whatever it may be. Having something there to hold onto and always believ in can really strengthen a person. It can really bring them a sense of peace and understanding, even when they're in the hardest times of their lives.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Depends upon the person and the religion... I was miserable as a Christian. I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay happier as a Pagan! [mamak]

EXACTLY!!!!! 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 6:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I don't think it's so much RELIGION that makes people happy, per se. I think the happiness stems from when we find the spiritual path that is right for us.

Just like you, I was miserable as a Christian. It wasn't anything against God. As the bumper sticker says, "I like God, it's His fan club i can't stand". Hell, I think Mahatma Gandhi said it best when he said "I like your Christ, I don't like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." The way that Christians (GENERALLY SPEAKING) treat other people is a flat-out EMBARRASSMENT to the very God they claim to serve and and absolute raping of Christ's name.

As a Pagan, I too am a LOT happier. I've found a much better way for me to be able to have the freedom to progress and grow spiritually. Becoming far more open-minded has made me very happy, getting to know God and Goddess further in my own way has made me very happy.
    PaganMommy04

Answer by PaganMommy04 at 12:09 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Do you believe religion makes you happier?  Not within itself, no.  It tends to encourage higher expectations than reality does, because you are expecting your deity to do things for you while you sit back and pray.  I was always disappointed--and a bit upset--by god's lack-of-performance on my behalf.

Do you think social networks and communities outside of religious groups count as well?  I think church-based groups may be the only reason religions still exist in a modern, technilogical world.  The fellowship is what produces the "high" that keeps godslaves from crashing when they're hit with reality.  It's why they have to go back week after week to get their faith "fix".

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Depends upon the person and the religion...

I was miserable as a Christian.

I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay happier as a Pagan!
    MamaK88

Comment by MamaK88 (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• religious-social connections are simply friends made through a religious organization/group. so, in a way, you could say 'yes' to both, if you have a religion. if you don't have or use a religion, you really have no say in whether it makes one who does happy or not. to say someone isn't happy because of their religion, but because of the social connections, is merely your own personal opinion..its only a guess as to where that idea comes from-personal experience or observational judgement?
    JMHO
    to answer the question, if i wasn't happy with my choice of religion, i wouldn't be involved in it. therefore, it does serve a purpose in my life's happiness overall, just as my social connections serve their purpose. however, right now, i'd be really happy if it were consistently a sunny 75*, not raining everyday, and i could get outside to play in the dirt! :))
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2010