15mths old and still...

not walking yet. She cruises & uses her push walker but she wont let go. Should i be concerned or just wait? How else can i help her, i knw she wants to but she just looks scared. Any advice or tips would be much appreciated!

mercy928

Asked by mercy928 at 1:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's a big feat to set off on your own and walk across and distance. It's no different then driving for the first time alone or roller blading for the first time. You have that initial fear that might keep you from taking that chance. With assitence it's easier, because there's always something there to help you along. Alone you're .. well by yourself and you have to rely completely on yourself. Therefore, toddlers, just like teenagers and adults are afraid to take that chance. One way you could encourage her is to stand her up about two feet from you. Either hold out your arms, hold a toy in front of her, and/or verbally encourage her. She'll attempt those first few steps and then probably get a little timid. Just keep encouraging her. She's more likely to walk unassisted to you then to anything else.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• If you are concerned I would talk to the dr. If not, she will walk soon. My son was 2 months premature and he didn't walk until he was 17 months. My younger son was also 2 months premature. He is 14 months old and cruises. Remember all children develop at different rates.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 1:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Mine too, I know she can walk but she's just not ready. It's totally normal! I try standing her up and putting something really cool just out of her reach (like dad's smartphone) Good luck!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:08 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• She is cruising and walking with a toy - she is on her way. My youngest was barely cruising at 15 months. It was easier for him to power crawl or scoot everywhere. He also liked being carried. He walked around 17.5 months and was running shortly after. I wouldn't worry.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:37 AM on Dec. 30, 2010