Anyone taking prenatal vitamins and B-12?

My sister started taking B-12 and she said that it has helped her with more energy. I have been taking prenatal vitamins and I started taking a B-12 yesterday. Does anyone else do this? I don't think that my prenatal has B-12 so I won't be overdosing. Also would it be safe to take when I get pregnant too?

jenniferlee_12

Asked by jenniferlee_12 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• You won't overdose on B vitamins by doing that. They are water soluable, so anything your body doesn't need will just pass through your urine. I took a prenatal, a mega-B-complex, and an omega-3 before and during pregnancy, and throughout the entire time I breastfed. I ran this by my psychiatrist (she had me taking the B-vitamins and the omega-3 for psychiatric reasons), my regular family doctor, my midwife, my OB, and my child's pediatrician, and they all said that not only was it not a problem, but that it was probably beneficial for my child.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:03 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Thanks. I saw the B complex, but wasn't sure so I just got the lowest (500mcg) B-12 to try.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 4:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Stick with fresh organic fresh fruits and veggies, these will give your body the proper nutrients it needs. The human body can only absorb organic forms of vitamins and minerals - which we receive from fresh produce. Organic grown is best because it is allowed to ripen for the proper duration for the highest nutrient content. Other produce ripens on a shelf so it is not getting the nutrients from the soil it needs. to give an example there is a great piece of research, the Peach Study, in the 50s & 60s a women could eat 2 peaches a day and get all the nutrients the body needed in vitamin & mineral content from a peach - today you would have to eat 64 A DAY - yes 64. scary huh, so my point is, stay away from the vitamins, you will waste your money, eat fresh organic produce at least 5 a day, your energy will perk up and your body is getting what it needs. You can contact me for more info if you like, this subject is my passion.
    AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 4:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Thanks for the suggestion, but I am a picky eater and do not eat vegetables, only corn and carrots and they have to be cooked a certain way, and not too much fruit.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 4:35 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I took b-12 (folic acid) and prenatals -- doctor said it was perfectly fine. Mention it to your doctor if you're worried.
    Anonymous