Antibiotics

This question is just out of curiosity. Are you the type of person who runs to get antibiotics as soon as you're sick, or do you let your body ride out the sickness and develop immunities? Do you do the same for your children?

I was reading an article on the mayo clinic's website about how people who take antibiotics often are going to develop a resistance to them putting themselves (and others!) at risk and creating drug resistant germs (super tuberculosis, MRSA, etc). It's kind of scary when you think about it.

Nanixh

Asked by Nanixh at 1:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Health

• I try to let whatever the sickness we have to run its course. If we are getting worse or aren't getting better, I might schedule an appt for my kids. I usually don't make appts for myself unless it's pretty bad. I don't like taking antibiotics all the time. I usually just go for over-the-counter stuff if I need something.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 1:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I do not like antibiotics for myself or my child! So many parents want them for the common cold, which they don't even help with. I don't want my DD growing immune to them and then if she really needs them, they won't work!
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 2:02 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I had some pretty bad flu plus swine flu this year. I didn't go to the medicine with the swine flu (only staying home and surviving) but with the chest infection I needed the antibiotics. After the CI my knee got double sized because the antibiotics froze the water between my joints. So I couldn't move for 3 weeks plus after I was suffering like hell. I don't have good answers for this question. I would be happy just stay home and wait for the resistance but sometimes people have to go to work. Which means medicine. I am not an antiobio fan but if you need it you need it. That's it.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 2:05 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I rarely take medications. I have only taken anti-biotics for UTIs as leaving those untreated can cause major health issues.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Same here lilmomma. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've been on antibiotics in the last decade, and those were due to UTI's that developed while I was pregnant with my children.

And I understand wanting to get better for reason's of work, but if you have a virus, antibiotics aren't going to do anything.
    Nanixh

Comment by Nanixh (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I hate taking medicine. I prefer to let whatever I have run it's course. I am right now on a second round of antibiotics for Bronchitis. Hubs had to make me go to the doc the first time. I am so over this nastiness. I am glad hubs made me go, but I rather not take antibiotics and let my body do it's thing.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 2:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Ride it out as long as possible. I rarely see a doctor.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2010