What is the one place you visited that was a complete letdown?

mamacita69930

Asked by mamacita69930 at 1:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Travel

• I do have to agree with Charlotte I visited Hollywood. I lived in San Diego and went up to Hollywood more then twice. It's not as wonder as the TV shows it.
    A trip is all what you make it. I traveled to Tijuana Mexico now that place is "SAD" We can't go down there as freely as we use to. Talk about filthy...the people are begging for money. They have poor health care and it does show. That is the saddest place I went to.
    bmwlover

Answer by bmwlover at 2:45 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Hollywood, California. it was filthy and cheezey. Beverly Hills was what I expected to see in Hollywood. Also, I was somewhat let down by seeing Vatican City in Italy. Totally commercialized with little booths along the sidewalk selling plastic rosaries and little prayer cards/postcards; statues. yck.
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 2:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• honestly, a lot of Vegas. Postcards and TV only show pretty, clean, sparkly angles . there's a lot of gross, eww, nasty too.

I expected NYC to be similar but I loved and appreciated the slightly eww parts.... not a let down like Vegas
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:44 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Tiajuana, fortunately, that was only for the day. It was so run down, can't walk down a sidewalk without being begged to buy something. We saw several men being led down alleyways by a leering guide, and girls leanining against doorways. Jamaica was tragic if you went anywhere but the resorts.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:49 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• so- most of the people here are saying the poor places are places that let them down and are nasty? Well, I just find that sad. You can learn a lot about people and the land even when people are poor. I have seen some great beauty in some very poor countries. You don't need to be rich to be beautiful.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Hollywood has cleaned up a lot, especially NoHo and WeHo. I go there to clubs to see live music a few times a year. LA's wierd because good neighborhoods back right up onto bad ones with no gradiation.

I was really disappointed last time I went to Phoenix. All the streets were torn up and rerouted with construction and there were so many abandoned lots with trash.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Not a complete let down, but London England. You will find SO many cops near Parliament and the Embankment but should you need a cop in an emergency, in the outer boroughs it will take some time for them to get there. Bobbies are downtown for the tourists and thats it.

LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 2:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Gotta agree with OP about AC
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:35 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Atlantic City was a big letdown. I thought it would be more like Vegas (which I enjoy), but I found it run down and a little seedy.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:41 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• SoCAL...don't beleive the hype and the little corner of the huge state they choose to show you. Thats how they trick people into visiting and getting their money. It was cool between 1950-1985, but since then its just overcrowded, smoggy, trafficy, crime ridden, run down in many areas, and expensive. Not to mention the rest of the State is totally neglected in favor of the beaches in that small area of SoCal. There's so much more there that isn't given any credit to out-of-staters.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:45 AM on Dec. 30, 2010