Do you raise your children to believe in the paranormal? (GHOSTS DEMONS ANGELS FAIRYS)

yes

No

Please Explain a bit. and be NICE

NO JUDGMENTAL MEANIES HERE

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I raise my children to believe in their own experience. I tell them what I believe, and I tell them what others believe, but I always admit that not EVERYONE believes the same things and that is ok. As such, they believe in ghosts (having had contact with them before), but not fairies or demons. One son is a humanist and the other is agnostic. Part of me is a little sad that they don't share my faith, but I also know that it took me many years of searching and spiritual pain to find my faith. I hope they won't have to go through the same or similar, but I think maybe they just don't have enough life experience yet to find comfort in a higher power.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:40 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• No, I don't, but they've never really asked much about it either. If/when they do, I will tell them that I don't have any reason to believe that these things exist, but I also can't assure them with 100% certainty that they don't.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I don't teach him anything one way or the other since I'm not exactly sure what I believe. He is free to form his own opinions based on his experiences and beliefs.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 2:23 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I sure do. My 2yo totally believes in Santa Claus. And she's certain that Tinkerbell lives in Pixie Hollow.
    tommy_mommy

Answer by tommy_mommy at 2:23 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• No I don't right now because i don't want them to be afraid. However, I do raise them to believe that there is a LOT we don't know about how the universe works--and what is real or not real, including the existence of God; horoscopes; angels and what happens after we die. And we're Catholic. LOL
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 2:23 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Not sure why my answer warranted a downvote, but thanks to the biotch who did it!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:23 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• He could see them just like I can and his dad can. He had a double dose of the genes. I didn't have to teach him about it. He did hit that stage where he questioned it, but that didn't last very long.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:40 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Yep. We go to Catholic church and so believing in angels, demons etc is really part of my belief system. I also happen to believe in ghosts. I dont think sheltering the kids from knowing things is a good thing either. I believe there are bad things out there and they should know about it early and not be afraid of it.

Answer by gemgem at 2:21 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• I believe in them. So far, he's never asked.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• i teach him to use his instincts, if he does that's fine, if not that's fine too. i'm not imposing my ideas on him
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 2:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2010