What change are you looking for from the new President?

Obama's slogan throughout the campaign has been "Hope and Change" and "The Change We Need".
Now that he's been elected -- what are the top 1-3 things that you hope he can change?

Please no bashing, and please be specific. Rather than just "Undo the Bush Administration" please try to have answers like "Lower my Taxes" or "Get our troops back home from Iraq".

I'm not looking for right or wrong -- I'm curious what Moms around the country want to see change.

Squirrell34

Asked by Squirrell34 at 4:03 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I am hoping some form of decent healthcare coverage for everyone is created. I have no idea what would be a good system besides knowing that if the government runs it, it will be bad.

My family is self insured and I know that if any of us came down with something bad, we would lose our coverage. And once that happens, you pretty much can never get healthcare coverage again. The "can't get coverage anywhere else" insurance that my state offers costs nearly as much as my mortgage so that wouldn't be an option.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Less burdensome programs created to hack away at the middle class.  Tax relief - or at least no tax increase for the middle class.  Troops home from Iraq.  Sever dependance on foreign oil.  Less selfishness.  NO MORE BAILOUTS - unless it's me being bailed out.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 4:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• 1) Tear up the patriot act and any other law (like the one giving Bush power to declare martial law without notice to the American public) that Bush illegally put into place.
    2) Tax cuts for the middle class and create more US jobs
    3) End our dependency on foreign oil and increase research and use of alternate fuels (green technology)
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 4:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Oooo yeah, the patriot act. Get rid of it and all the other crap like dragonfly7271 said.

AND get rid of No Child Left Behind -- it ain't workin' and the children are getting left behind.
    Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 4:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• #1 Tax relief,I think that is the biggest part
    #2 healthcare
    #3 Troops coming home where they belong
    #4 Madge is right, NCLB is really sad
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• #1. Better research and fund No Child Left Behind and not just focus on Math and Reading as the biggest targets. (Great idea just not thought out well)
    #2. Improve healthcare from inside out... from patient load to insurance etc.
    #3. Work to protect the environment more. It is important to me to have a healthy place for my child to grow up in with woods to play in.
    manders018

Answer by manders018 at 5:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Get some good manufacturing jobs back in the country that actually pay a living wage.

Stop this war and don't get into any other messes

Health care for everyone. Third world countries have better health care

SweetLily8

Answer by SweetLily8 at 6:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Well I wasn't an Obama supporter so what I would like to see is 1. a stop to all of these bailouts. I am in the car business and it's time for a shake up if they can't make it work to heck with it nobody gets a guaranteed retirement plan and we shouldn't have to pay for it because GM and Ford failed 2. I want him to isolate and eliminate programs that aren't working. I want him to redirection government money that is already being spent on programs that don't work and make ones that do. 3. I don't want him to add more government I want him to reorganize the one we already have. If he does these 3 things I would gladly reconsider voting for him in 2012.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 7:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• there needs to be serious reform to our healthcare system.
    that's the number one issue for me right now.

i'd also like to see our troops come home from iraq. i believe as president obama will be able to work with the iraqi government to establish a reasonable timetable for troop withdrawl.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 7:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Make all governement agencies stay on budget and stop wasteful spending.
    No bailouts for any of the big corporations. Instead send that money to the people.
    Get rid of NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND. It does not work.
    Have healthcare affordable for all.
    Get rid of our dependence on foreign oil.
    And, have Pelosi and Reid chill out with the spending!!!!!!!
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 7:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2008